Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Wish us luck...(and an Edith update)

Martin has a job interview today.  It's for the manager position at a restaurant that opened up here in Barton about 4 months ago, and it looks promising.  It will mean long hours, but he will still be in town and the money should be pretty good.  It seems (right now, at least) like the perfect job for him.  So keep your fingers crossed, say a few prayers, whatever it is you do.

And the Edith update:

She went in for her 6-9 month checkup on Monday.  Yes, I am aware that she is nearly a year old.  The health visitors are very behind schedule.

She is doing just fine developmentally.  She is passing objects between her hands.  She is crawling.  She responds to sound.  She has started babbling.  She doesn't squint when she looks at things.  She is bright and attentive and happy.  What she is NOT doing is gaining any weight.  She is in the 91st centile on her height and only the 25th on her weight, and has only gained about 1 1/2 lbs. since I last had her weighed about 3 months ago.  Oh, and her head circumference is in the 25th as well.

I'm not terribly concerned, of course.  She eats like a little piglet and is obviously thriving.  She has a ton of energy and is a very happy and contented child.  But if she still isn't gaining weight in two months' time, she will be referred to a pediatrician--just in case.  They will want to make sure there are no underlying conditions preventing her from gaining weight.  In the mean time, I have been told to make sure she has plenty of fat and protein in her diet.  I laughed when the health visitor told me that, because she had dined on baked beans, oven chips, and cheese for her lunch.  Can't get much more protein than beans, or much more fat than cheese.

It's so funny that I have Dylan, who has been at the top of the charts since birth and looks and sounds at least a year older than he is and Edith, who is such a quiet, petite little thing and would look a lot younger than she is if not for how tall she is and how well she gets around.

One of my visiting teachers has a little girl who is about 4 weeks younger than Edith, and she had her over last night.  Seeing baby Jessica sitting next to Edith I realized just how tiny she really is.  She has lovely features and cute little cheeks, but absolutely no baby fat on her body.  She's not skin and bones, but there's not a lot extra on her.

Anyway, I was on the early morning shift today so I am going to crawl back in to bed.  It was a rough night, with Edith waking several times and Dylan getting up early because he needed to pee (incidentally, he has been accident free for about 3 weeks now).  Having kids requires a lot more stamina than I could have ever imagined!

2 comments:

Celeste said...

We have the same body types at our house. Frances is at the top of the charts, Noah is at the bottom! At his last appointment, Noah had only gained 6 ounces in 6 months. I'm taking him in again tomorrow. We hope he's gained some weight! At almost 3 he's about the size of an 18 month old.

Greg, Ang & 4 kidlets said...

Em is tiny also- she is finally in 24 month pants at 2 1/2 yrs (2T are still SO long). She is under 5% in height and weight and head circ. also, but healthy as a horse with the spunk to match. Crazy how they are all so different:)

By the way- for the first time ever I am measuring over in my pregnancy and I gained 6 POUNDS in 5 weeks!!! I think I am going to be huge this time around- SO not like the other three. Is this what little boys do to ya?