Monday, February 01, 2010

How precious are little children?

Martin and I watched a highly disturbing film last night.  It was called "Perfume, a story of murder," (I think)and it totally creeped me out.

Right from the first I was horrified, as it showed this baby being born in 18th century Paris to a woman working a fish stall in the market.  She gave birth while working--just squatted down, pushed the baby out, cut the umbilical cord with her fish gutting knife, stood up, and went back to work.  Left the baby lying on a pile of fish guts to die.  The narrator informed us that this baby was her fifth, and that the previous 4 had all gone the same way.  Horrible!

The film was good, but so disturbing on so many levels.  This poor baby survived but was raised in an orphanage and became a total sociopath.  He killed 14 women, and honestly had no concept that he was doing anything wrong.

It gave me bad dreams last night.  And it also made me think about my own children...

I am an intelligent and reasonable person, and I know not every baby is loved or wanted when it is born.  I know that not every child is cared for properly.  I remember when I was younger that girl in the U.S. who gave birth in the girls' bathroom of her high school during Prom and dumped the baby in the trash can.  I know about these things.  But I honestly believe that most people take care of their babies.  It's genetically hard wired into most women to want to care for our offspring.  Even if you behave like an animal, most animals take good care of their young!

I think about how much I wanted my children.  I hoped and dreamed and prayed and cried myself to sleep many times because I was so desperate to have children.  And when Dylan and Edith were born they were welcomed with open arms and overflowing hearts.  They have never known anything but love in our home.  They are both adored by their parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, and friends.  Their early months were filled with soft words, kisses, cuddles, comfortable clothes, warm bedding, plenty of food, and, above all, love.  They have been, and will continue to be, cherished.  It was the same for me and Martin.

It hurts me to think that there are children out there who have a very different life.  How could anyone harm an innocent child?  Or worse, leave a newborn baby to die on a pile of fish guts?  I was so disgusted!

I love my children more than anything else in the whole world.

3 comments:

Emma said...

Why would you watch something like that!!! But I know what you mean, it gives you a reality check doesn't it? This is why I feel that any more children I have will be adopted because there are so many who need a loving home.

Celeste said...

I completely agree with you! When I took Noah to see the doctor shortly after his birth, the doc said it was obvious I loved him. I laughed thinking, "of course I love my son but how can you possibly be able to tell?" Then when I hear about things like that, it makes sense. Those stories about mothers who don't care for their children seem so far away though, so not real. When a doctor in a small town made the comment about me loving my son, I thought maybe stories like that do happen closer to home than I ever care to imagine!

Unknown said...

oh my...i cant watch them show my mind reads to much in to them and i suffer from it for weeks. Human torture is not my thing. Though it reminds me how fortinant i am though,, I guess you could say that why they make shows like that