Thursday, February 18, 2010

You can't teach an old dog new tricks...

The dog, in this case, is my husband.  The new trick is learning to lock our car doors.

He was delivering Kleeneze orders the other night and left the car unlocked.  The box, which contained around £150 in merchandise, was stolen off the passenger seat in the approximately 5 minutes that his back was turned.  I'd rant and rave about him leaving the car unlocked, which I can honestly say I never do, but it wouldn't do any good.  We called the police and we have been walking the neighborhood to see if anything has just been dumped by the side of the road, but to no avail.  We still have to re-order those items and pay for them twice.

At least they didn't take anything else out of the car.  There was nothing else in there worth stealing.  Poor theifs--there wasn't even any change in the ashtray.  What a disappointment to the miscreants.  All they got was bunion removers and household cleaners.  I've learned not to keep my make-up in the car now.

AND, when I went out to the car the following day, Martin had left it unlocked again.

I give up.

Other than that, things are going well.  Dylan is still accident free and doing really well with his potty training.  He is only wearing diapers when he goes to bed, and is often dry when he wakes up.  It's great, because most days we are only using one diaper for him.  I am about to move back to a smaller bag because I only need to carry about 3 diapers for Edith when we go out.  Though I might still keep the giant bag because I can fit a lot of snacks in there.

We have a trip across the bridge planned for today, which is pretty exciting.  I bought a light off eBay, and need to go and collect it in Hull.  It looked good in the pictures and only cost me a fiver, so I'm pretty excited about that.  And while we're on the "wrong" side of the bridge, we're going to take the kids to the Deep.  We went for our anniversary and gift-aided the admission.  If you do that, they very kindly give you a bounce back ticket so you can go for free the next time you visit.  We just need to make a donation to them rather than pay the full admission price.  I'll have my camera glued to my hand for the trip, so watch out for cool pictures.  Edith was only 5 months old the last time we went, so I have a feeling that she'll enjoy it a lot more this time!


We took Dylan to have a look at Castledyke Primary School last week.  In September he will be eligible for government funded nursery school, so we took him to look 'round the "foundation unit" at our closest school.  Castledyke is, quite literally, right around the corner from us.  Actually, it is on the next street over.  If we could cut through peoples' gardens, we could walk there in about 3 minutes.  Instead, it takes about 8 minutes to walk there.


It's well laid out, with this huge room dedicated to the nursery school.  It's all open, with different areas set up for "learning through play."  It is so bright and colorful and fun looking.  Dylan loved it!

He just wanted to play with everything.

I can already picture him in his little school uniform, running around like a mad man on the playground with the other children.

Even though I had hoped we would be back in Utah before it was time for Dylan to start school over here, I'm looking forward to it.  He is SO excited to go to school, and I am looking forward to having some one-on-one time with Edith.  It'll only be for three hours a day, which sounds just right to me.

Of course, I am still pushing for a move back to Utah before then.  We just need to get this house sold.  Keep saying your prayers for us.  I want to come home!

No comments: