Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Parent-Teacher conference...

It was Dylan's mid-term parent-teacher conference on Monday, and it was, wait for it, ALL POSITIVE!

His teachers, Miss Wilcockson and Mrs. Morris, said that he is adjusting beautifully, his vocabulary is amazing, he is starting to join in with the group more, and that his manners are very nice.  Then Miss Wilcockson asked me if I had changed anything at home to bring on this change.  His behavior problems have basically disappeared, and they are all amazed at the difference in the last three weeks.

So I told her that we had started a "nice" jar for Dylan, and that he got a button in his jar every time he did something "nice," like doing things the first time he was told, doing things before we had to ask him, using nice manners, playing well with his sister, etc.  I told her that we were trying to pay more attention to him when he did good things and make a big deal of his good behavior.

That, and we've been beating him.

All jokes aside (come on, I would never beat my kids!  Not unless they really deserved it.), Dylan is doing better.  And instead of telling me I needed help, this time they asked for my techniques.  I knew we could do this without any outside help!

Dylan will be missing some school in the coming weeks.  He's got his surgery on Monday and I'm planning on keeping him home for a few days after that so he can rest and heal.  Then, on the 7th of December they are going on a special school trip to Normanby Hall.  Santa will be there, and they will be taking their letter to him.  They will also be riding the miniature steam trains. 

Man, I am so excited for Christmas this year.  Having children is bringing out the Christmas kid in me.  I remember how magical this time of year used to be for me when I was a kid, and I want it to be like that for Dylan and Edith.  We've made a paper chain so Dylan knows how many days it is until Christmas.  After Thanksgiving is over, we will start to decorate the house for Christmas. 

Of course, we're trying to teach the kids the religious meaning of Christmas, and not just about Santa.  Bless Edith's little heart.  She recognizes pictures of Jesus, but gets really confused when we look at nativity scenes.  I tell her it's the baby Jesus, and she points to the baby and says "baby," then points to either Joseph or one of the shepherds and says "Jesus." 

I think it's because of the beards.

No comments: