Thursday, November 11, 2010

von Villebrand's update...

Dylan had his "DDAVP Challenge" on Monday to determine the effectiveness of the drug in making his blood clot.  The test definitely was a challenge, with three blood draws and an injection over a 5 1/2 hour period.  But we got the results of the test today and they were good.  His body responds well to the medication, so it will be relatively easy to treat him when necessary.

Unfortunately, he will have to be vaccinated against hepatitis A & B, but our GP will administer those vaccines.

The consultant has already liased with Sheffield Childrens' Hospital (where Dylan is having his surgery) and they are aware of his condition and the precautions that will need to be taken.  They are aware that his surgery is on the 29th of this month and will be sending the results of his DDAVP trial over.

We have a follow up appointment in 3 months' time.

All in all, I feel like we have this particular medical challenge well in hand.  The rest of the family will be seeing a hematologist on Friday the 19th, and we'll find out if Edith has von Willebrands and who it came from.  My money's on Martin.

In other Dylan news, his behavior is really improving.  We decided that instead of focusing on his "bad" behavior, we would really start to concentrate on his good behavior and make sure he had lots of praise for doing well.  It's much harder to praise good behavior than it is to punish bad behavior, but it seems to be working.  He's had two really good days at school this week.  Plus, I'm pretty much forcing him to take naps again in the morning, before he goes to school. 

I like what we're doing with him, because his little face lights up when we tell him we are proud of him.  He just beams when we hug him and tell him he's been amazing.  And you know what?  He IS!

My favorite thing to do is ask Dylan if I can tell him a secret.  When he says yes, I whisper in his ear, "You are my favorite little boy in the whole world."  He always gives me the most ear splitting grin and the sweetest little giggle.

We had a great time on the drive to the hospital today.  I moved his carseat to the front seat, and we chatted like a couple of school girls on the way there.  Edith stayed at home with her Nanna and went to Water's Edge to feed the ducks.  I love both of my children, but it's so nice to have some one-on-one time with them.  Sometimes I wish I only had one.  Then I could devote more time and attention instead of splitting it between the two of them.  But having them both just makes the individual time together that much more special.

I'm so in love with my beautiful children tonight.  Must be because they are sleeping peacefully right now.  I think I'll go make sure they are tucked in to their blankets and just stare at them for a few minutes.  Maybe wonder how I came to be so blessed.  You know--mom things.

No comments: