Thursday, December 02, 2010

This is bizarre!

I know that I'm no expert, but I have spent 7 winters in England (including the one when I was first married) and I have NEVER seen weather like this!  Seriously, the last week has been much more like a Utah winter than an English one.  Only there is no snow removal.

London Gatwick and Edinburgh airports are closed.

There are no trains running.

There are no buses running (which makes Fleetgate a very quiet street, indeed).

The local supermarkets are completely out of bread and milk (though are currently doing fine on all other stock levels).

HGV's can't get into or out of Barton because of the ice on Ferriby Road.  It's the main road into and out of Barton, and it's a pretty steep hill.  I've been told the only way you can drive up it is if you have 4-wheel drive.

Dylan's school has been closed for the last two days, as have most schools in the country.

Martin closed the Stables last night because his chefs couldn't get in to work.

The Humber Bridge is closed.

Fleetgate hardware has sold all of it's snow shovels and sleds.  I'm pretty sure there isn't one to be found throughout the whole country, in fact.

And, best of all, IT'S STILL SNOWING! 

The met office are predicting another 10cm for our region today.  It's fine for us, because we have plenty of food in the house and Martin walks to work anyway.  Dylan wouldn't be in school because of his surgery, so that's no big loss.  But it's apparently next to impossible to get out of Barton.  I wouldn't know because I pretty much haven't left the house since early Tuesday morning, and I'm starting to go a little bit stir crazy.  I've never really missed the snow since we moved over here, and it's nothing but a nuisance in this country.

We're all tucked up snug and sound in our house, watching cartoons, having hot chocolate for breakfast, and waiting for the "Big Freeze" to be finished.  Me, I'm totally ready for the "Big Thaw."  But hey, maybe I can take this opportunity to repeat my Utah winter mantra...

"If it's snowing, it's not freezing."

Everybody say it with me now;

"If it's snowing, it's not freezing."

1 comment:

Emma said...

I have spent almost 30 years in this country and I have not seen weather like this since I was a kid, and I hope I never see it again it's horrible and frightening :(