Friday, December 31, 2010

My gorgeous kids...

Dylan has been absolutely amazing this week.  Seriously, he has been helping me out around the house, obeying me when I ask him to do things, not throwing tantrums, it's like the past 6 months never happened.  I could really get used to this Dylan.

Of course, his good behavior has coincided almost exactly with the onset of Edith's "terrible twos."  She's been a little madame, though still good for a toddler her age.

We had a good day today--spent the morning with Martin and then drove to Ikea after lunch.  Both kids spent the whole drive there sleeping, and they were really good while we shopped.  We stopped mid-way for a snack, and Dylan helped me push the food trolley around, pay for snacks, and get to a table.  Perfect child, really.

We had a good night, too.  Edith slept on the drive home, but Dylan and I chatted and listened to music together.  I made dinner when we got home, and we all ate together.  Then Dylan helped me clear the table while I did dishes.  Then it was on to our walk to Tesco for a few essentials.

On the way there, Dylan and I talked about New Year's Eve and how most people would be going to parties tonight.  But I told him I wasn't going to go to a party, and Dylan showed amazing insight.  He said, "Is that because you're staying home to look after me and Edith?"

"Yes," I told him.

"That's because we're very important to you, isn't it?" he replied.

I nearly cried.  All it took was this simple little exchange for me to remember why I wanted to have children so badly in the first place.  And it reminded me why I chose to be a stay-at-home mom, even though I'm not really suited to the job.

Dylan knows, at the tender age of 3 years old, that he and his sister are my top priority.  And I get to experience the wonder of these two little children, and I have the privilege of raising them and receiving their love and devotion in return.  Sure, it'll disappear during their teen-age years.  But it'll be back.  I know, because I now love my parents even more than I did as a child, because now I realize how much a parent sacrifices for a child. 

It's so much more than nights stuck in the house while everyone else is out having a good time.  It's  the way your life comes to a grinding halt while you, for probably the first time in your life, devote every bit of yourself to another human being.

It's hard work, but very rewarding.  Especially when those little monkeys let me know that they appreciate me.

That being said, I am looking forward to them being a bit older and more independent so I am not stuck at home on my own 5 nights a week!

No comments: