Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Mothers Day

It was Mothering Sunday on the 18th. In grand tradition, Martin spent Mother's Day serving food to other people's mothers, while the mothers in HIS life spent the day without him. Awesome.

Actually, it turned out to be a pretty good day. Martin helped the kids bring me toast and peppermint tea in bed. Then we all got ready for church (and work) and Martin helped me get the kids bundled into the car. Now that Edith is in nursery, church is a 2 hour opportunity for me to have some grown-up time. I played the piano for the Primary children while they sang, and Edith gave Emma some serious cuddles. The children then read their cards to their mothers for the entire congregation. Dylan went first, and he read it all on his own. I was so proud, and I freely admit that I got a bit weepy.

After church, the kids sat and watched "Tangled" while I made scones and filled profiteroles. We had posh afternoon tea at the in-laws, and it was really nice. Then it was home for a quick bath and into bed for the kids. And I watched telly until Martin got home at about 9:30pm.

I'm glad that the U.S. and Britain celebrate mothers day at different times. Not only does it give me a chance to celebrate my mother-in-law, but it also gives me the chance to have a "real" mothers day when Martin is at home to help the kids make it a special day for me. So roll on, May!

--------------------------------------------------------------

Nearly two weeks ago, my iPod went missing. The kids and I were listening to their playlist on the way to the cinema, and I couldn't find it afterwards. I searched everywhere, and I even contacted all the businesses we patronized on the day to see if it had been found. After searching the car and the house, I decided that I must have left the car unlocked and someone stole it. I felt so bad, because it was a Christmas gift from Martin and it was going to cost a lot to replace. I love my iPod, because it gets used every day. I've been having to work out with no podcasts. I've had to TALK to people in the gym. Oh, the horror!

So Martin was kind of angry that I lost my iPod. But I think he was secretly pleased that I'd been so irresponsible. It gave him something to throw back in my face whenever HE does stupid stuff, like leaving the front door unlocked all night...

Anyway, I was having ANOTHER look in the car a few days ago (just in case, because I ALWAYS lock the car) when I noticed something. There's a small gap in the center console, which is about the same thickness as my little iPod. So while I've been exercising, I've been going over and over the day it got lost. I parked in the multi-story car park, and went down a pretty steep slope to exit it. What if...

I asked Martin to try to take the plastic cover off the center console, and lo and behold...out slid my iPod.

I did a happy dance.

Martin seemed a little bit disappointed that he couldn't be mad at me for losing it any more.

----------------------------------------------------------

Dylan has a birthday party to go to on Sunday. It's a Harry Potter party, with optional fancy dress. My Google search didn't turn up any great costumes, so I bought some black and red fabric and this evening I made my son a wizard robe. It's totally lined, as well. It's sort of my practice project, because I've found an absolutely gorgeous vintage Vogue dress pattern that I want to make. It's a 1950's original, and it's AMAZING! I'm not sure if I've got the skills to make it though, and the pattern alone costs £15 and I would need to buy about 4 yards of fabric on top of that. Wouldn't want to buy all the supplies and then bomb the project...

-----------------------------------------------------------

The weather was nice enough tonight that the kids and I dined al fresco. They've been spending so much more time out in the garden lately, and I'd forgotten how much easier it is to keep the house clean when the kids play outside. Summer is so great for that reason!

And speaking of summer, I think we are going to buy tickets to fly to Utah this summer--and soon! I'll keep everyone posted on this. We have Edith's passport form filled out and ready to send, and almost enough money to buy the tickets for me and the kids. Martin's will be purchased later.

Anyway, that's the update. Happy now, mom?

1 comment:

ShaNeil said...

You're coming to UTAH?! That's where I live! I'm SO excited right now! :)