Monday, March 12, 2012

Scent...

My sainted mother-in-law came over for dinner last night, and she brought dessert. It was a German sour dough friendship cake, and it was absolutely gorgeous!

Today I was cleaning up after breakfast, and I caught a whiff of the left-over cake. Instantly, I was transported back to the Hostess discount shop my mom used to take us to when we lived in St. George. I remember the racks of cheap bread and cakes, and that SMELL! I remember the gray concrete floors, and eyeballing all the Twinkies with my big sisters. And did I mention the smell?

I was four or five years old at the time. The same age Dylan is now.

Scent can trigger some strong memories. A lot of them, for me, come from my early childhood. Grape Lip Smackers, for instance, always reminds me of the St. George condo, age 4. Dumping out all of my small toys onto my basement bedroom floor. They were in a chunky peanut butter tub.

I love it when I remember things like that from when I was just a kid. I have so many happy memories. I hope my children have that, too.

And I wonder what smells will trigger their happy little trips down memory lane.

Anybody else have any of these?

1 comment:

Michelle and Nick said...

Caress soap and Carefree bubblegum take me back to high school. Not as far back as you go, but they are very powerful scent/memories for me.