Friday, September 19, 2008

What a difference!

Last night I went to my first ever Enrichment Night at the new ward. I was amazed--we've been in that ward for two weeks and I already feel more welcomed and at home than I've ever felt in Relief Society in Grimsby! The ladies are all so down to earth and friendly, and they really seem to be making an effort to make us feel welcome. They are succeeding!

It was a pampering evening. I had a mini-pedi and a facial, and learned a bit about aromatherapy. But mostly I just visited with different people. There's a girl/woman named Noelle who is just a year older than me and from Canada. We had a good time chatting. There's another woman who is probably in her mid to late 30's who is lovely. I didn't catch her name, but she's an Aussie. We all talked about how we miss home, what we love about England, how hard it is to move your whole life, etc. And there was this little old lady there who was absolutely HILARIOUS! She is getting a little senile (I think) and kept saying wildly inappropriate things. I nearly wet myself laughing at one point. It was just nice!

I've said it before and I'll say it again--the people in Grimsby weren't unfriendly. They were just completely caught up in their own lives and already had friends and family there. They didn't go out of their way to make you feel at home (for the most part--there are definitely a few exceptions). But coming to Scunthorpe has made me realize just how incredibly lonely I've felt-especially since I've had Dylan.

Don't hate me for this Emma, but the ladies at Enrichment Night last night were almost American in their attitudes toward us newbies!

Speaking of Emma, I promised her a few weeks ago that I would make a list of all the things I like about England and the English. If I do this, she has promised to do the same about Americans and the USA (not entirely fair, as she's never been there and hasn't met many Americans, but at least she's willing to try to find positive things about people she doesn't like!). So here we go--my top 10 things I love about England (in no particular order):

1) The incredible history here! There are historic buildings all over the place, like castles and cathedrals and abbeys and even my own house. You get a real sense of belonging to the past--a connection to bygone eras. It's fantastic!

2) The scenery is amazing--especially here in Lincolnshire! I grew up in the desert and am still amazed by the rolling green hills and the rivers and the way the little villages nestle into the countryside.

3) The weather! I know I complain about it a lot, but that's only because I'm going native and that's what the people here DO! But I love the wet winters (easier on the lungs) and the cool summer days. A little more sunshine might be nice, but I like the temperate climate. There aren't many extremes in the weather, and you can get a lot of wear out of cute, lightweight jackets!

4) The NHS. I know it has it's flaws, but everyone in the whole country has access to medical care. I can go to the doctor whenever I feel sick instead of trying to decide if I can afford it. My c-section didn't cost me a penny. That's amazing!

5) Proximity to Europe and all the goodies that entails. Culturally, it's so diverse here. And you can get really good cheeses and chocolates and various other luxury items that cost a fortune in Utah for next to nothing. Mmmm!

6) Pubs. I don't drink, true, but the pub isn't just somewhere to get totally leathered. It's also the place to meet your friends and play snooker, have a meal, play darts, watch the footie match, catch up on local gossip, etc. The village pubs are especially good! Plus, they make great landmarks. Observe: To get to my house, you drive in to Barton and follow the signs for the train station. You drive past the White Swan and park next to Charlie's. We are across the street.

7) It has to go in eventually--the people are very polite and friendly--once you get to know them. Social niceties are still observed. When you go into someone's home you are immediately asked if you'd like a drink. You give cups of tea or coffee to people coming to do work--the roofer, the plasterers, the electrician, etc. These people would never ask for a cuppa, but you always offer it if you can!

8) The BBC. You have to pay a licensing fee, but the radio is commercial free, and so are the BBC television programs. Plus, CBeebies is BRILLIANT!

9) My husband and his family!

10)All of the friends I've made here.

Your turn, Emma!

2 comments:

Adriane said...

I'm glad you like your new ward. It is so nice when you are comfortable. I am so jealous of your weather, and the green and the inexpensive chocolate! Also, it would be great to have med care. I can't afford it so I don't have any, though the hubby and kiddo's do.

If you get a chance, you can check out my blog, too. www.texasbakermomma.blogspot.com

Emma said...

I just almost wet myself laughing at your blog, which after looking after poorly kids, I really needed thanks!
I consider myself challenged and I'm off to write on my blog now...
Emma
x