Saturday, November 07, 2009

A fine line...

Ok, now I'm torn between wanting to move home and wanting to get some stuff done first!

I went to see my GP yesterday.  Dr. Wellings wasn't there, so I saw Dr. Jaggs-Fowler instead.  And yes, he is just as posh as the name sounds.  But I like him, and here is why:

I started my visit with a discussion about my pre-natal vitamins (which I am about to run out of).  He told me that the NHS won't provide them but the chemist should be able to recommend an over the counter brand that will be comparable and that it IS a good idea to continue taking them while I'm still feeding Edith.  Then we moved on to flu shots, and he gave me mine (not for swine flu, but I will receive that one at some point as I am high risk because of my asthma).  He also gave me a pneumococcal vaccine, which is standard for kids now but wasn't available when I was a baby.  It gives you immunity to some of the nasty germs that cause chest infections, which is really good news for me.  Then we moved on to the really embarrassing bit that I have been wanting to see a doctor about but have been putting off.  Finally, Martin made me do it!

We discussed the stretched skin on my stomach.  I showed him my horrible "apron" of skin that came courtesy of carrying two huge babies REALLY low.  Martin is the only other person who's seen it and it was rather humiliating to show it to someone else, but I needed to do it.  I explained how after I had Dylan the loose and hanging skin was an annoyance and I really disliked it.  But since the birth of Edith the skin has stretched so much that it is now uncomfortable at the best of times and downright painful at others.  I told him that it is affecting every part of my life, and keeps me from doing a lot of things that I'd like to do.  I totally broke down and cried like a baby in his office.  Over my disgusting tummy!

Dr. Jaggs-Fowler was most sympathetic.  And he is willing to try to help me.  We talked plastic surgery, and we talked about the NHS paying for it.  There are just three obstacles, and he said that they are not insurmountable.

#1-Can't do anything while I'm still feeding Edith. 

#2-My current weight.  Logically, I need to wait until I've lost the baby weight before they will do surgery of any kind as it wouldn't be 100% effective if there was still fat to be lost when they removed the extra skin.

#3-I would have to get special funding which my doctor would have to apply for as this is a cosmetic procedure and the NHS don't pay for frivolities. 

So, feeding Edith.  Well, time will take care of that one.  I'm sick to death of feeding her anyway.  And the weight loss one, that's a toughie but very do-able.  The last one is the highest hurdle, but (and this is why I heart Dr. Jaggs-Fowler right now) he said he is willing to pursue that special funding for me.  Because although it's not a life or death situation for me there is a good chance it will be deemed medically necessary.

I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders.  And now I have a good reason to try to lose some more weight.  I HAD lost some, that month when we had no money, but I was actually afraid to lose more because it made my stomach look so much worse.  Without fat to cushion it, the skin on my stomach hangs even more.

I am also glad that it's not all in my head.  That makes me feel better.

So now I am conflicted.  I want to sell the house and move home, but not before I can have this surgery done.  I'm starting a little "diet," though not a drastic one since I am still nursing my baby, and I am going to do pilates and ride my bike every night if I can.  It's a race against time and the housing market.  It's going to be goodbye butter, cream and cheese at my house, too.  My snack for date night was fruit tea and an apple.

Hungry days to come, but I'm all fired up to do this.  My loathing of my body is strongerr than my appetite for yummy food!

No comments: