Monday, November 16, 2009

I love weekends!

Although I would like them more if Martin had two days off!

Yesterday was good. Martin wasn't feeling so hot when we woke up, so I took the kids to church by myself so he could get a little bit of rest. Hard work for me, but needed and appreciated by him. I managed to get the three of us ready and out the door by 9:20, proving to Martin that it really IS him who makes us late every week. I even stopped off in Scunny to pick up a crock pot that I got off Freecycle and we were STILL on time. Yay for me!

Church was ok, though I only stayed for Primary. It is actually impossible for me to handle both kids on my own during Sacrament meeting--especially now that Edith is bigger and either sits on the bench or on my lap the whole time. Dylan has a tendency to wander up on to the stand and try to talk into the microphone. And we left immediately after singing time, too. I was standing by the nursery and looked through the window to see Dylan pushing a little girl over and making her cry. I figured he needed to come out, and figured that would be as good a time to leave as any. Dylan cried because he didn't want to leave (he loves nursery and Emma)so I had to carry both kids and all my gear out to the car on my own. I love it when people at church see me struggling with my arms quite literally full of babies and other stuff and don't even try to open doors for me or offer to help.

Finished ranting now!

We had lunch when we got home, then hopped in the car for a little drive. We'd planned several weeks earlier to have a family outing to Donna Nook (the RAF bombing range) to see the baby seals. There's a large colony that uses the coast there as a breeding ground. Because of the bombing practice there, they have no predators. It's one of the safest places in England for seals to come ashore to have their pups.

It was a lot of fun! Cathy and her boyfriend John came, as did the mother and father-in-law. We got to see a seal that was just minutes old. I kind of wished I'd been able to watch it being born, and Martin was relieved that we'd missed it. There were so many tiny little fluffy white seals, though the seal placenta lying all over the sand dunes was pretty disgusting! We also got to watch the, erm, courtship of a couple of seals. That was interesting. It felt like we were watching a nature documentary, but it was much more visceral than telly!

After we saw the seals, we went back to Laurie and Christine's house and had dinner. It was delicious--especially since I didn't have to cook it! Then it was home to get the kids to bed. It was so late that we didn't even stay to help clean up and we skipped baths.

Edith was awake twice for feeds again. That girl is going to be the sleep-deprived death of me!

I have loads of pictures,, but the camera is in the kids' room and Edith has gone back to sleep. I don't want to chance waking her up just to put a few pictures on the blog. So I'll put this one on for now...

Dylan and I do our "very very bad" faces (from Dr. Seuss's One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish--some are glad and some are sad, and some are very, very bad!).

...and will put some pictures from our weekend on the blog later.  Maybe today, maybe tomorrow, but soon.  I got a lovely sunset picture.  The sun is now setting at around 4 pm.  Only 5 move weeks until the shortest day of the year, thank goodness.  English winters are rough, when the sun rises at around 9 am and sets at about 4pm.  That is, of course, if the sun comes out at all.  Today is a gray and rainy day, so there will be no sunshine for us today!

Oh, Edith is awake.  Time to really start the day!

1 comment:

ShaNeil Cook Coons said...

I love Dylan's "very very bad" face!