Friday, November 06, 2009

My girls...

I have never made friends easily.  I guess it's because it's not in my nature to trust people.  I try to give them the benefit of the doubt and like to assume that people are decent until they prove otherwise, but I don't open up that often.  As a result, I don't have many close friends.

As I entered my teens, I pretty much stopped having female friends all together.  I couldn't bring myself to like the cookie cutter Mormon girls I went to school and church with, and my parents couldn't approve of any other kind.  They did their best to make sure I didn't have any "bad influences" in my life, and that pretty much meant that I didn't have any friends.  I did have some guy friends, but it's not really the same.

I have formed a few bonds since then--with my lovely college roomies Amber and Krista, with my girl Becca, with my friend Michelle.  These friendships have been few and far between, but all the more treasured for it!

So imagine my surprise when, on reflecting about friendship, I discovered that I have two "best friends" here in England!

Emma and Jen, you always have my back.  If I had to, I could drop in at a moment's notice (or with  no notice at all if I was really desperate).  You help me with my kids, let me whinge about my husband, do fun things with me, share meals and trips to the park and swimming pool, and most of all, just let me be me.

I struggle in England.  I have never felt like I fit in here, and probably never will.  Americans and Brits are totally different.  Don't let the fact that we both speak English fool you--we are not the same at all!  I try to keep my head down and blend, but with my best friends, I don't need to do that.  You make life over here more than just bearable.  You make it enjoyable.

Thanks for the estrogen (or oestrogen, for you two!) influence.  A girl needs a couple of good friends, and I'm glad you are in my life!

4 comments:

Emma said...

Love ya to Jamie, thanks for always being there, I shall cry like a pathetic fool when you guys move away xx

Unknown said...

i can honestly say you were one of very few who didnt turn on me when i got married in high schhol and never judged me and never beleived the "rumor"...i can say im really looking forword to you come back me

Michelle said...

You are just including me on your list since I let you have a sleep over when the police kicked you out of your own house! Well, no matter-- I will take whatever I can get.

We sure love and miss you guys and can't wait to have you on this side of the pond. I'm so glad you have Emma and Jen. It makes a huge difference to have friends you can count on. Especially for girls. Come home soon. We need some Indian food and someone to share it with.

The Williams Family said...

I am hurt. I never considered myself a Cookie cutter mormon. I still love ya. You were like my bestest friend in elementary school.