Monday, August 23, 2010

Lazy day...

Today is going to be a quiet, lazy day.  It would have been nice to take the kids to the park or something, but we woke up at 4:45am (thanks a lot, Dylan) to pouring rain.  It's going to be a strictly indoors sort of day.  Except that we've got a friend coming 'round with a stihl saw later this evening to cut a hole in our back garden wall.  We're going to have rear access at last, and the means to take the trash out to be collected every week.  Doesn't sound that exciting, I know.  But it is, because we've had to haul our own rubbish to the tip every week since we moved in to this house 4 1/2 years ago. 

So I guess it's not going to be that lazy for Martin.  He has to put up a gate.

Sunday was a really good day.  Church was not too stressful, and Martin's talk and musical number went very well.  We were all really tired, but had a lovely day all the same.  The only down-side was that Martin had to go in to work and cash out & lock up, but I did some work on my rag rug while he was gone, and it was nice and relaxing.

Amy gave me a fab book that she found in a charity shop.  She's kind of old-school and always brings me a little gift when she comes over for dinner.  She said that she normally brings a packet of biscuits, but doesn't bother with me because I am such a wonderful baker.  Oh, she knows how to flatter me so well!  Anyway, it's a book about rag crafts, and it gave me a good tip.  I've been making my rug out of old t-shirts, and cutting the t-shirts up one strip at a time.  The book taught me how to do a continuous cut on the clothes so that it takes less time and I get more rug strips out of the shirts.  It's a simple concept that I probably should have come up with on my own, but I hadn't.  So now the rug is going much more quickly.

I've also decided to make the kids quiet books for Christmas.  You may recall that their gifts from us were hand made last year, as well.  Dylan still plays with those fish we made.  I remember the quiet books we had when I was a little girl with great fondness, and I hope Dylan and Edith will love theirs, too.  I've started designing the pages and collecting fabrics to do it.  I just need to get some muslin and pellum. 

I never thought I'd be so crafty.

Anyway, I need to wake my lovely husband up now.  And maybe make breakfast for the kids.  For some silly reason, they seem to like to eat.  What a nuisance!

No comments: