Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Our extra day with grandma...

We took my mom back to the airport yesterday, but we thought there might be something strange going on when we tried to do on-line check in and print her boarding passes the night before.  So we took an overnight bag for our little family, just in case.

When we got to the airport, mom's flight had been oversold.  They were looking for volunteers to delay their flights, and were offering $1000 travel vouchers in return.  They were also putting people up in the Radisson BLU at the airport and giving meal credits for the duration of the delay.  Mom decided that if the flight was filled, she'd stay behind.  So we waited at the airport until they closed check-in for her flight, and it looked like they had to bump some people who had NOT volunteered to stay behind as well as all the people who had. 

Anyway, so we unexpectedly had an extra day to spend with mom.  We all decided to carry on the extra 35 miles from Manchester and see the sights of Liverpool, and it was so much fun.  We went to Albert Dock and saw the sculpture exhibition at the Tate Liverpool.  We also went to the Maritime Museum.  We walked along the River Mersey, and just generally took in all the sights.  You could stay for weeks in Liverpool and not see everything, but we enjoyed "Liverpool Lite."  Then we drove mom back to her hotel, gave the kids a bath, said our goodbyes, and came home.  She is flying out this morning, and is only a 5 minute walk from check-in.

We have enjoyed having mom here to visit.  It has been a real treat, and I have enjoyed every minute of it.  I am hoping that she will give her $1000 travel vouchers to one of my sisters so that they can come and visit as well (hint hint).  It was nice to actually be well enough to be a proper hostess, unlike the last time mom and dad came to visit, and I'd like the chance to do it again.

Saying goodbye at the airport was tough.  Especially because mom and I had so much fun.  It was more like having a good friend visiting me than my mother.  We actually have quite a lot in common, which I never realized when I was growing up.  We even have very similar taste in art, bizarrely enough.  I have learned a lot about my mom, and my kids have enjoyed having her here more than I can express.  Dylan kept asking where she was after we left her to drive home.  He already misses her.

I love England, but I really want to move home!  I want to be closer to my family, so my children and I can see our "American family" all the time.  I want my babies to know their grandparents on that side, and to get to know all their cousins and aunts and uncles. 

Mom, I'm so glad you came.

1 comment:

Greg, Ang & 4 kidlets said...

Yay- an extra day- that was lucky:) Glad you guys had such a good visit. We wish you guys were here also so our family can be complete at get-togethers!