Friday, June 05, 2009

An ode to Grandma Lofley's home cooking...

My Grandma Lofley makes the most delicious tater tot casserole in the whole world. I used to look forward to trips over to her house just on the off chance that she'd make it for us. I also love her potato salad and it seems like her oatmeal tastes better than anybody elses.

You can't buy tater tots in this country. Unless one of my UK readers knows a secret spot for them?

I have discovered that waffle cut potatoes make an excellent substitute--especially the spicy ones since the spice bakes into the sauce in the oven. Consequently, we have had tater tot casserole 3 times this month.

My sisters all love tater tot casserole, too. And we all make it differently. Here is how I make mine. Do you girls want to post how you make yours?

Saute onions and garlic together with minced beef (that's hamburger to you Yanks).
Add 1 can of condensed "cream of" soup & 1/2 can of milk.
Stir in enough tater tots (or the waffle cut spicy potatoes) that the soup and beef mixture is coating all of them.
chuck it in an oven safe dish, sprinkle with grated cheddar cheese, cover with tin foil, and bake at around 375 F (about 190 C) for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
I like to take the foil off the top for the last ten minutes so the cheese goes all lovely and bubbly.

You know, I'll bet Grandma Lofley doesn't make hers anything like this!

3 comments:

Adriane said...

Sounds good. I had only ever seen it where the tots were covering the top. I like that these are mixed in.

ShaNeil Cook Coons said...

Let me tell you a little story that I'm not sure if you've heard...

I made tater tot casserole for the first time at college last fall. I was really excited for Russell to try it because he'd never even heard of it. So I decided to use sweet and condensed milk (on accident). I would NOT reccomend it--it was NASTY! Russell was scared to try it when mom made it at the house because he was afraid it would taste like mine! :)

But anyway, I think it's Grandma Lofley's fault that we all love tater tot casserole so much! :D

V said...

I do mine just like that, only I add green beans to it. It's ever so tasty. Yumo!!