Saturday, December 19, 2009

A not so happy anniversary...

December 18 is a rough day for me every year.  It's the anniversary of one of the most defining events of my adolescence, and is a day I like to spend in quiet reflection about the way my life has turned out.  Looking at my wonderful life helps make me less bitter about that fateful day, because everything changed for me then.  17 is really young to learn some lessons, but I am glad things worked out the way they did.  It took me a long time to get to this point!

Also, a year ago yesterday is when we took Dylan to the emergency room in Nephi while he was having a seizure.  I will never forget holding his limp little body close to mine on the drive to the hospital.  I thought he was dead.  I honestly did.  I have never experienced fear like that before, and I hope I never feel that way again.  Ever.

So yesterday should have been a nice, quiet, reflective day.  Instead it was spent at a break neck pace doing housework, cooking, sewing, laundry, entertaining guests, and working on Christmas presents.  Oh, and taking care of the kids.  Sort of.  I got up at 6am and finally fell in to bed at about 11:15pm.  That's LATE for me.  Martin had a party to work at the Place, and he didn't get home until 12:30 this morning.  We're both pretty tired, and today is another full day. 

So even though I didn't get to spend yesterday the way I would have liked, I am grateful for the life that I lead.  I have a wonderful husband and two beautiful children, and they mean the world to me.  I sometimes wish that December 18, 1996 had never happened, but I know I wouldn't be where I am today if it hadn't.  And where I am today is pretty sweet.

1 comment:

Adriane said...

If it's none of my business, just tell me. We were friends at that time and I don't remember if I ever knew what happened. I am sorry if I wasn't there for you at that time in your life. I hope we will always be friends