Tuesday, December 01, 2009

They're not little for long...

Edith had a rough night last night.  She was awake for about an hour and a half.  We'll let her off though, because she's not feeling well.  Dylan did the same thing the two nights before.  Typical.  It's either one or the other of the kids keeping us up.  I really would sell my soul for a decnt night's sleep!

But I digress...

I was holding her on my chest and kind of bouncing her to sleep when it occurred to me how big she's gotten.  She spent the first three weeks of her life sleeping like that--all curled up on my chest.  But now just her torso fits where her whole body, legs included, used to.  She's growing so quickly. 

And while the knowledge that she's going to be grown up before I know it didn't make me any less tired, it did make me cherish her a little bit more.  Even though it was 2 am. 

The whole family either is or has been sick.  I'm ready for all of us to be healthy again.  Taking care of sick kids when you're not well is hard work.  It's funny, how you seem to be able to take care of them even when you can hardly take care of yourself.  Being a parent teaches you an awful lot about sucking it up and just getting the job done.

Other than the sickness running rampant in our house (Which is no big deal, by the way.  It's just a cold!) we are doing well.  Dylan is sort of "getting" Christmas this year, and recognizes Santa when we see decorations and such.  He's jazzed about the Christmas decorations and lights, and can hardly wait to get a Christmas tree.  We're going to get one this week, because I want him to be able to enjoy it for as long as possible.  Edith will probably really enjoy the lights on the tree, and I only hope Dylan doesn't break everything.  He's incredibly destructive and disobedient at the minute. 

Oh, kids.  Part of me just wants them both to be grown up and independent.  But I know that's just the sleep deprivation talking.  I love taking care of them and watching them grow and develop.  I love how they depend on me, and they trust me completely to take care of them.  I'll be sad when they finally realize that mom can't fix everything.  Right now, a hug from me is all the reassurance they need that everything is going to be ok.

I would love to be that innocent again!

1 comment:

Adriane said...

I know what you mean about them growing so fast. My boy (almost 11) is too big for my lap and his feet are bigger than mine! Doesn't stop me from giving hime tons of hugs and kisses every day though! My almost 8 year old daughter has also become too big for my lap. Good thing I still have the 3 year old who likes to snuggle bug with me!