Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Birthday boy...

My baby is 4 years old--I can hardly believe it!

Dylan celebrated his birthday on Monday, and it was a great day for everyone.  He started it out by opening his presents in mom and dad's bedroom (both kids are big fans of playing on our bed), and he loved his presents.  He got a great package from his Auntie Angie and Uncle Greg (and kids) that had some lollies (opened in minutes), Spiderman socks (delighted), and 3 Power Ranger toys (took them with us in the car and played with them the whole way to Manchester AND back).  He also got a few Lego bits and pieces and some Lightening McQueen pajamas, slippers, and a dressing gown. 

It ws just cereal for breakfast, but it seems to be his favorite breakfast food.  Then we got an early start because we were meeting his grandparents and auntie and uncle at the Trafford Centre in Manchester.  Dylan had no idea where we were going, but he was pretty excited about the surprise.

The trip over was eventful.  Not in a bad way, just in an annoying way.  We left on time and were cruising along roughly 20 minutes ahead of our other party members.  Then Dylan had to pee.  In the absence of motorway services, we found a place to pull over so he could go at the side of the road.  Got back on the motorway without any problems--this time.  10 minutes later, he told us he needed to poo.  Once again, no motorway services.  So we pulled off the motorway (again).  Dylan got his trousers and pants, um, slightly dirty this time (dad needs to practice his sitting down hold).  We also couldn't get back onto the motorway and Google Maps was having issues on Martin's phone, so we ended up getting to the Trafford Centre about 15 minutes AFTER the other car.  And we decided never to give our kids Froot Shoots at the beginning of a long drive again.

Anyway, we scarfed down a quick lunch at Pizza Hut and then jogged through the mall to get to our destination in time for our timed ticket entry. 

LEGOLAND DISCOVERY CENTRE!

We walked in and Dylan gazed around with wonder and awe.  He said, "Dad, everything's made of Lego."  And Martin said, "That's because this is Legoland, Dylan."  The look on his face was totally priceless.

We spent the next 3 1/2 hours wandering around Legoland.  Both kids had so much fun.  Cathy and John weren't having quite as much fun, John having celebrated the 8-2 Manchester United win over Arsenal a bit too enthusiastically the night before (he left early for a bit of the hair of the dog...), but I think we all had a nice time.  The highlight, for me anyway, was taking him to the 4-D cinema for the short Bob the Builder show.  Dylan kept his 3-D goggles on the whole time, and watching him duck and swat at things was so much fun.  It even snowed (bubbles) at the end of the film.  And there was a falling birdhouse with "dust" from a smoke machine.  When that one happened, Dylan actually asked me if it had fallen on us!

He opened some more gifts at Nanna's car.  He got more Lego and a Buzz Lightyear dress-up costume.  We grabbed some dinner at McDonald's and started the drive home.  He was asleep within 15 minutes.  He slept until Leeds, where we woke him up to take him to the new Krispy Kreme doughnuts shop.  Oh yes, there's a Krispy Kreme next to Ikea.  Edith and I will be spending many a happy day over in Leeds when Dylan starts school again!

Anyway, we got home just in time to throw the kids into bed.  We were all exhausted and happy.  And when we asked Dylan if he'd had a nice birthday he said, "It was BRILLIANT!"

The best part is, some of his gifts hadn't arrived yet.  So he got to open another present yesterday (from me and Martin) and will get to open two more packages from America.  Those should get here today or tomorrow.  He gets to celebrate his birthday for a whole week!

I love taking my children to places that I know they'll enjoy.  I love watching them have a good time.  I told Dylan that my favorite part of the day had been watching him have a good time, and it was true.  I love giving them gifts, too.  I guess I just love to see them happy.

Dylan and I were talking the other day about his birthday being a special day for me, too.  I told him that it wasn't until he was born that I became a mom.  Before that, I was just Jamie.  So I thanked him for being born and making me a mommy.  And he smiled the most beautiful smile--the one that means he knows how special he is to me.  The one that means he knows his worth.

The last four years have been some of the happiest of my life!