Friday, August 19, 2011

Why I love England, reason #759

Yesterday we went to the dentist.  We have a big family appointment every six months with Dentist Steve over in Hessle (just outside of Hull).

Everyone was cavity free and the kids were GREAT for their checkups.  Martin and I also got a quick de-scale and polish, which I haven't had done since we moved here in 2005.  It made me think...

Dental care is not as good here as it is in the U.S.  I'm not being negative about England--just stating a fact.  Americans are notorious for being "obsessed" with teeth.  But knowing that the care is not as good has encouraged me to take better care of my teeth.  So the reason I love England is that the dental care has made me take more responsibility for myself.

Oh, and we get it for free because of our very low income.

After our dentist appointment, the kids and I dropped Martin off at the train/bus station and we went on a picnic.  I took them to the Humber Bridge Country Park, which is the park on the Yorkshire end of the Humber Bridge.  It was amazing!

The picnic was average, but I bought strawberries (which Edith ate her own weight in) and crisps (which Dylan went mad for), so the kids were happy.  Then we went for a wander and explore, because we'd never been there before.  We discovered a local nature reserve down in an old quarry site.  I have never seen anything so beautiful, mysterious, and peaceful.  I got some lovely pictures, which I will try to post later.

So that is the other reason I love England--and the one that I always come back to.  It is so beautiful here.  I want to move home more than anything, but that's only because my family is in Utah.  I would happily stay in England forever if they would just move here with me.  I love the health care system, the culture, the history, the cities, the countryside.  Man, I even love the weather.  Most of the time.

This day 4 years ago was my due-date for Dylan.  Kind of wild.  I can hardly believe it's been 4 years since then.  I remember how anxious I was to have him.  I was so heavily pregnant and miserable.  I hadn't slept properly in weeks and my whole body ached.  My ankles had disappeared.  My pelvis was seperating and rolling over in bed at night was an agonizing 5 minute process.  Dylan would get massive hiccups and I could feel his head banging against the bones in my pelvis.  I was waking up at 4am every morning to pee.  And, though I didn't know it then, I had 10 days to go.

It seems like yesterday and a decade ago all at once.  Did I ever NOT have children? 

Some excitement on the Edith front.  Yesterday she went diaper free for 2 hours with no accidents.  She finally did a proper pee on her potty, too.  Her bladder control is excellent, though she continues to show no interest in being potty trained.  She just prefers to wear diapers.  I think she is lazy and likes them for convenience.  But she also told me when she was pooping--not after, but just before and during.  It's a good sign, right?

I'm finally seeing the light at the end of my 4 year long bottom wiping tunnel, and it's looking pretty good!

No comments: