Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The old tricks are still the best...

When Dylan was a baby, he would not sleep during the day if we were in the house.  Let me tell you, it was torture.  If I wanted him to have a nap, I had to take him for a walk or a drive.  And the second we walked through the door, he would wake up.  I was exhausted, and I never got anything done in the house.  Ever.

I tried EVERYTHING to get him to sleep.  And I got so tired of people saying, "Well, have you tried ...(fill in the most obvious solution here)?"

So one day when I bumped into an old co-worker of Martin's, I nearly shut out her suggestion.  But it was something I'd never tried before and it was worth a shot.  She said, "Have you tried lying down with him when you put him down for a nap?"

I tried it.

It worked.

Life became much more restful and I became a much better mother and nicer person.

Last night, Martin took Dylan to a football match.  It was Leeds v. Hull at Elland Road, and kick-off was 7:45pm.  We told Dylan that he could only go if he promised to have a nap the next day.  The kid wakes up at the same time every morning, regardless of what time he got to sleep.  He promised, but went back on it today.  So I tried the old trick from when he was a baby.

He fell asleep in my arms.

That was nearly 2 hours ago.

It was beautiful.

No comments: