Wednesday, August 03, 2011

On routines...

The kids and I have been in a routine for over three years.  Dylan since he was around 6 months old, Edith pretty much since birth.  And it's been nice, too.  It's good to know that the kids will eat at regular times and go to bed without too much of a fuss.  It's been almost crucial to my sanity at times, knowing when they would be asleep and for how long, too.

But the kids are a little bit older now, and I'm learning to relax that routine just a little bit.  Part of me is really afraid to do it, because I'm worried that they will stop being such good sleepers and eaters.  But so far, so good.  Last night, we went and picked wild plums for dessert after we finished our dinner.  We got home too late to bathe, but the kids watched bedtime cartoons and went up to bed like little angels.  And on Thursday they are going to have a really late night, but I know that they will sleep in the car on the way home and they will be more than happy to crawl into bed when we get home.

Of course, life is changing now.  Dylan will be going to school full-time in September and it will just be me and Edith all day long.  And the summer holiday is shaking things up as well.  My rigid parenting has had to relax.  It's not a bad thing.  But my system has worked for nearly 4 years, and changing it now is a little bit terrifying.

Speaking of change and terrifying, I had a night out for the first time in nearly 3 years.  On Saturday I went out with my friend Sammi, her boyfriend Sam, and her friend Dan to a nightclub in Hull called Spiders.  I was really nervous about it.  Mostly worried that I would be the oldest one there (I wasn't) and that I would look like a frumpy old housewife (I didn't, if the two lesbians who hit on me are any indication).  It's a metal club, so it wasn't my kind of music and it was a bit of (sub)culture shock.  But I had a really good time.  I've never seen that many silly men and boys playing air guitar in one place before.  And I've decided that it might be a good thing for me to go out a bit more often.  I shouldn't be such a shut-in. 

Emma, let's go have a girls' night once every six weeks or so.  Whadda ya say?

It was very weird to get all dolled up for a night out without my husband.  VERY weird.

Anyway, we're taking the kids to get haircuts and then we're off for a picnic at Normanby Hall.  Time to get this show on the road.

Here's to doing new and exciting things!

No comments: