Friday, August 10, 2007

Midwife Appointment (hopefully the last one)...

I saw the midwife yesterday. It was Rose, the not too friendly but very efficient one. Amazingly enough, she was very friendly with me yesterday. It was a pretty good appointment.

I asked her if she could tell how far down the baby had dropped, and she was feeling around for me to check it out. She said that little baby G's head is pretty well engaged. Apparently, she could only feel a little bit of his/her head above my pubic bone. This explains the PAIN in my hips and pelvis, and also the head butting I've been receiving during bouts of baby hiccups. So obviously this means that the baby is still head down :)

The baby's heart beat is still strong and steady, and my blood pressure and urine are fine. We did discuss my anxiety about the baby being really big, and she told me that the consultant at Scunthorpe hospital doesn't do anything about big babies anyway--no early inductions, no extra ultrasounds, nothing. He basically just lets you go to term and does a c-section if the baby is too big to be born the "real" way. So even if my pregnancy WERE being more carefully monitered, I would still be pregnant, huge, and (patiently?) waiting for some signs of labor.

The next scheduled appointment with the midwife is August 20--one day AFTER my due date. I really hope I don't see them again! It would be great if I could give birth right before my due date or on it. Every day after August 19th will go so slowly!

In great news, Martin has all of the wiring completely done and cleaned up in the front room. AND, in even better news, we have some plasterers coming in on Tuesday. They are going to do the ceiling and then skim the room. On Tuesday night or Wednesday I will have finished walls and ceiling in my living room. I thought this day would never come. Of course, it hasn't come yet, but I am still so excited I can hardly stand it.

This weekend should be pretty good. The weather is glorious--about 80-85 degrees F and DRY! It has been over a week since it last rained. I have been line drying all of our laundry and have actually had to water my nasturtiums, my tomatoes, and my french beans. I am planning on having Martin take our old dining set outside so I can paint it. Then we'll use it for dining al fresco in the garden. Lovely!

I am also planning on doing a belly cast--hopefully tonight. I want to go over to Emma's house if she is available to help me. If Emma can't, Deanna has offered to help me with it instead. If I go to Emma's house I can use her sewing machine to make the curtains for the nursery though--I bought some cute fabric last weekend.

This is my last post from work--my maternity leave starts as of Monday. I will be updating from home from now on. I am sad to be leaving Alan Dick UK, but I am so happy that I'll be able to get a little rest and get some work done on the nursery. Maybe now that I won't be at work all day long that whole "nesting" thing will happen and my house will be immaculate by the time the baby gets here.

Martin's baseball team won their last game, and they are league champions. This means that they are going to the playoffs, so now he is rooting for an early birth as well. If I can have the baby early, he can go to the playoffs (depending on how I am feeling). He's pretty excited about that!

Sorry--this is a really rambling post. Lots of information and really no direction to it at all!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just a note on how different every pregnancy is. My first (boy) came 6 days early and by cesarian after 12 hours of induced labor.
My 2nd (girl) came on her due date after tons of prayer for a "normal" birth and with a cesarian scheduled for the next day that never happened because she came when due.
My 3rd (girl) came 8 days late after gentle induction overnight in the hospital and also was born the natural way.
Also, nesting never kicked in with the first two but is still going for me with number 3 who is about to be 9 months. Good luck!