Wednesday, July 01, 2009

This heat wave!

I was hanging washing on the line on Monday, since that's laundry day, and I hung a pair of Dylan's pajama bottoms up next to one of Edith's sleepsuits. They were the same size. It made me think about how strange it is that Dylan came out of my body. It's not so strange to think of with a tiny baby. But now he's huge and independent and I look at him with wonder and think, crikey-I MADE that!

Things are going well over here. Martin and I have really been getting some major work done in the garden. We have this one corner that's been full of rubble and rubbish and gravel since we moved in. Well, now it just has gravel. And that's going quickly since we are sifting the soil out of it and using it next to the house. It's really looking good out there--just in time for our 4th of July/birthday BBQ.

Dylan has started playing with other kids at the stay-and-play we go to instead of just ignoring them. Unfortunately, this means that I have to hover near him to break up fights over toys. Dylan is a big bully, and is so much bigger and stronger than most of the other kids his age. I am constantly complimented on how well he's going with his speech. He talks better than most kids his age. It's probably not anything I'm doing, really, but it makes me feel like a competent parent.

Edith is discovering her voice now. She is "talking" quite a bit, and continues to be a joy to have around. She's beautiful and happy. And she has the whitest skin I've ever seen in my life! I'm really going to have to be careful with her skin--especially when we move back to Utah.

Our house is officially listed now. The picture is up in the DDM window for all to see. Now we just need to have some people show a bit of interest in it. The bedroom is half painted (we're doing it cream instead of blue) and I'm doing my best to keep it clean for viewings.

I've decided it's time to get my eating under control. I won't say I'm on a diet, but I will say that I'm no longer eating anything I want. It's difficult to decide if I am eating enough to be feeding myself and Edith. A lot of the time when I feel hungry I don't know if I just have the munchies or if I genuinely need to eat so my body will make enough breastmilk for Edith. Tricky! But I've had more energy the last few days. Most likely because I've been eating more veggies and less refined sugar.

Martin is at baseball practice tonight. He left early so he can practice pitching. It's something he's wanted to learn to do for quite some time now, but he can't work on it during the regular baseball practice. I think he'll be pretty good at it, to be honest. Martin is pretty good at most sporty things he tries to do.

The weather continues to be hot and sticky. It is a bit too hot for comfort at mid-day, but other than that it's very nice. We've all been out in the garden in our swimming suits all afternoon. Dylan is lovely and brown, and Martin is going a delightful shade of pink. As usual, my top half is giong brown whilst my legs stay fish belly white. Nice.

Anyway, that's what we're up to. Nothing terribly exciting, but we're all content with just doing our thing!

1 comment:

Adriane said...

Wow! If you are amazed that Dylan came out of you now, just wait till he's 10 like my Kevin. His shoes are half a size bigger than mine now at only 10 years old!!

If you think you are hungry just drink a big glass of water first. If you are still feeling hungy 10-20 minutes later, eat something. Preferably something whole grain, veggie or fruit!

You have beautiful babies.