Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Gardening...

I never thought I'd say this, but I am really enjoying doing the gardening lately.

Now that we've got really nice grass (though we are still trying not to walk on it too much) it has inspired me to work on the rest of the garden.  Especially because I can't leave the house Tuesday through Saturday after 7pm.  Being, quite literally,  stuck in the house 5 nights a week is a bit wearing.  Being able to go out and work in the back garden feels a little bit like I'm getting away with something.  I lock the front door, turn the baby monitor on, and lose myself for the hour before it gets dark.

Last night was lovely.  I am currently using our barbeque table as a make-shift potting area, and I planted some tomato, watermelon, courgette, and aubergine seeds in old yoghurt pots.  I also planted some nasturtiums in a hanging basket.  As I was standing at the back of the garden, the bell ringers for St. Mary's church met for their weekly practice.  It was cold and the wind was blowing, but I was totally happy.  I can hardly wait for the seeds to start sprouting, and I think that Tuesday night will be my official gardening night.  Can you imagine the pleasure of gardening to church bells?

I have always admired really quirky style, especially in the garden.  I have wondered how people achieved the look, and now I know because mine is starting to look totally funky and fun.  It's a combination of creativity, a passion for recycling, and zero money!  I have my home-made barbeque grills, an old window and yoghurt pots being used as a makeshift greenhouse for my little seedlings.  I also have a couple of old windows in heavy frames on the back table to reflect heat and break up the effect of all that brick back there.  I have that fantastic old fireplace and chimney in the back corner which I am going to turn into a water feature of some kind (just need to get some pond liner and some mortar, because I am going to attempt some brick work--fun, huh?).  I have my antique looking garden tools hanging up on the walls.  I just wish I had some really great antique garden furniture instead of the free cheap white plastic I got off freecycle.

My goal is to make my garden absolutely irresistible to potential buyers.  I think it's getting there!

No comments: