Wednesday, April 08, 2009

5 day check...

Edie had her 5 day check on Monday, and she is doing really well! She's only lost 5 oz. of her birth weight, and is sleeping and feeding like a champ (obviously). The midwife was very pleased with her progress. She had her heel prick test (do they do it in the US?) to test for sickle cell anemia and other inherited stuff, so we'll hear back on that soon. But she's healthy and happy and adjusting well.

I'm adjusting well, too. Seriously, so much better than with Dylan. Yesterday I was sitting on the sofa feeding her and all of a sudden got this rush of love for her that was completely overpowering and intense. I didn't get that feeling for Dylan until he was several months old.

I give all the credit for this easy adjustment to my wonderful husband. Having Martin home with me is making all the difference. He is taking such good care of me and Dylan, and is the reason that Dylan is happy and not resentful of the baby, and that I am able to relax and take care of myself and Edith. He is shouldering so much of the burden, and I realize more every day how blessed I am to be married to such a wonderful man.

I need to take Edith back from him now, because he's in the middle of doing the ironing and wants to get back to it.

Seriously, I am so happy right now. It's not fair to other people, how happy I am right now. I hope it lasts forever!

1 comment:

Adriane said...

Yes, they do the heel prick here and it is horid, horid torture to have to watch your sweet baby scream and have her foot pressed to get the blood out. I hate that test for that, but love it for all that it checks for to keep baby health!
I was the same way with Kevin, it took me several months to feel that rush of love. Maybe it's a first kid overwhelmed feelings thing? I always thought it was because I was so drugged up from the c-section that I barely saw him till the next day, but maybe not!