Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Tantrums...

Does it make me a bad parent because I have absolutely NO PROBLEM WHATSOEVER listening to my son cry while he is having a temper tantrum? That I can listen to him scream, watch him fling himself down stairs, bang his head against the wall repeatedly, without even flinching? Actually finding it funny? That I can do this for 45 minutes and still find it amusing and have no desire to pick him up and cuddle him until he calms down?

Not that it would make a difference, anyway.

Edith is crying now, and that is another story. She's too young to know better and I'm going to pick her up and snuggle her until she stops crying. But Dylan, well, maybe I am just a mean mommy deep down!

3 comments:

Adriane said...

Sounds entirely reasonable to me. I don't have tantrumers too bad, but I do have a friend's son who I am watching today (and the last few Tuesday's) who cries (sobs) pretty much the whole time he is here because he wants his mommy. I tune it out, cuz there is nothing I can do to calm him down anyway.
Let the tantrums roll. Tuning out and watching in amusement is pretty much what I do too!

Emma said...

You are doing EXACTLY the right thing Jamie don't worry! A lady at mum's and toddlers was desperately trying to stop her 2 year old head butting the floor, but I must be a mean Mummy to because I say let them do it, they will soon learn that is hurts and gets them no attention at all.
xx

Unknown said...

i had a doctor tell me once as long as you can hear them cry theye fine..he just testing you i actually love getting in to screaming fights with my boys becasue no matter what i always win