Sunday, September 27, 2009

How drunk can the sober people act?

My dear friend Jen had her engagement party last night. She and Howard are a surprising couple, and they are the nicest people in the whole world. Seriously, I feel very blessed to have a friend like her and I'm so glad she's met someone as lovely as Howard. It was supposed to be their wedding, but Howard is in the middle of a very nasty divorce.

Anyway, it was a great party. Jen really knows how to throw them! My in-laws went, and so did Emma and Lewis (we pretty much forced Lewis to go, but I'm pretty sure he had a good time in the end). It was a James Bond themed party, and fancy dress was "optional but appreciated."

Martin's costume was easy--he was James Bond from "Die Another Day," when he's, um, bird watching and sees Jinx (Halle Berry) coming in from her swim. Khaki shorts, hawaiian shirt, flip flops and binoculars. Mine was not quite so easy. I went as a '60's Bond girl from "Diamonds are Forever," Plenty O'Toole. I copied the dress and did my hair and make-up 60's Mod style. It was pretty fun. I made the dress from a purple velvet shirt that I got off Freecycle.

There was karaoke, and the Mundays and Martin and I participated. I am no longer a karaoke virgin!

Some time during the night I decided that it would be a good idea to try to capture the only sober people at the party looking slightly drunk. So I started snapping pictures like crazy. Turns out you don't need alcohol when you only get to go out a few times a year, because you try to squeeze as much fun and craziness and dancing into a few hours as you can! I find the pictures funny.

Martin looks like a merry drunk who does it every weekend. Emma looks like the shy girl who only lets her hair down when she's had a few. I look like a flirty drunk. Lewis looks like the anti-social drunk who starts out quiet and gradually becomes practically comatose.

I'll get pictures on here ASAP. Martin had the camera last night and I don't know where he left it. I think you'll appreciate them, just because they are silly and totally out of character.

Anyway, it was a really good night. But I've decided that having a son who wakes up at 5:30am is worse than a hangover. Oh, and Edith woke up every three hours all night long to be fed. That's pretty bad, too!

No comments: