Thursday, September 03, 2009

Telling it like it is...

I don't have the best writing style. There, I said it. I read other people's blogs and am constantly impressed by how creative and imaginative and wonderful they are. Mine is so plain compared to others. But I do pride myself on the fact that I always tell it like it is--or at least like I see it.

I have never sugar coated my journey into parenthood either, and I continue to be honest about motherhood and the way it makes me feel and the way it continues to change me. So those of you who know me (or at least know my blog) won't be surprised to hear me say this...

I have had quite a few moments lately when I've wished it was just me and my boys. Don't get me wrong--I adore Edith and am glad she's here. But I've thought about how much fun Dylan and I could have had this summer if Edith wasn't around. I really do miss the days when I could focus on him.

But then I got thinking about it. Sure, it was nice when I could just focus on Dylan. But the problem with that was that I was just focused on him.

I'm sure nobody sets out to spoil their child. But when you only have one child to lavish your time and attention on, they become accustomed to all that attention. Even if they are not spoiled materially, they will become a little bit self centered. Not because their parents teach them to be, but because they quite naturally become the center of their parents' lives.

I am grateful for Edith, who has taken some of the attention off Dylan. He doesn't seem to be suffering for it, and she has never known anything different. He is learning to share everything--toys, games, food, and the attention of his mother and father. I think he will definitely be better off because of it.

But mostly I am glad that we had Edith when we did. It was a bit of a shock to find out I was expecting her, and I may or may not have reacted with an obscenity when I saw the two lines on that pregnancy test. But I honestly believe that if it had taken any longer I would have decided to stop with just Dylan. And Edith really does complete our family.

So there--I told it like it is!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Jamie i have always admired you even clear back in 3rd grade...that seems so long ago when you talk about it that way(golly i feel old now) but anywho i really loved it when you came out of your shell and just did what you wanted (esp your goth phase) I love how you put things right out reminds me of me and i respect people that do that...I HATE sugar coating as well so dont change anything