Friday, September 11, 2009

Time to move on...

I have been in England too long!

One of my sister's friends is in Scotland. I was blogstalking because she posted a comment on Krystle's blog about being there and I was curious (incidentally, why do people think that's such a shameful thing? I'm totally addicted. Say it with pride, Michelle!). I read a few of her posts, the ones that the kids and time allowed, and it made me sad.

I remember when everything here was fresh and new and quaint to me, the way Scotland is for Michelle. Now a lot of things that I loved about living in England are just the way things are--not exciting or unusual. Just ordinary and boring and sometimes irritating!

I suppose some parts of my life might still seem quaint to my fellow Yankees--especially the ones in Utah. I buy my cakes and some of my meat from a traditional butcher's shop. I live in a nearly 200 year old house. I pick wild fruit from the hedgerows. I drive on the left side of the road. I frequently make delicious foods like Toad in the Hole, bubble and squeak, etc. I go to pubs that are hundreds of years old for meals. But life over here is just life now--there's no sparkle!

But before you get all offended (Emma), I'm not saying I don't like it. I DO! It's just ordinary now. I don't feel like an ex-pat. I feel like I belong here. Sometimes I even forget that I don't.

It's so time to leave!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

so bring your happy bootie home....nephi has that affect on people it may be utah or something but it sucks you in...after your here for a while your mother will be beggin you to move back to nephi and when you do you will get sucked back in the drama and wish you could leave again:)

Emma said...

We've been trying to get rid of all the yanks here for years, don't feel you need to stay on our account lol xx
Love ya really
Emma
x

Annie Nielson said...

Do you mind telling me what bubble and squeak is?? I looked it up on wikipedia and learned a little about it, but it says it can be made several different ways. SO how do you make it. I've heard of Toad in a Hole, too, but can't remember what it is. Tell us (me) more about the English foods you make :)

Michelle said...

Jamie,
I think you said it best when you said home is where your family is. I have loved visiting here, but home it is not. :)