Monday, September 07, 2009

The man of my dreams...

sleeps next to me every single night!

I have such an amazing husband, and I mean that with all of my heart. I know that I complain about some of his annoying habits, like his complete inability to close cupboard doors and his constant failure to clean up after himself, but those are so minor in the grand scheme of things. And, as Grandma Lofley told me when she gave me the best marital advice in the world, "If you feel like you're nagging him too much, you probably are. Sometimes if you want something done you just have to do it yourself."

I was watching Martin last night as I was feeding Edith. He was standing at the window watching all the pub goers walk by. That in itself was fantastic--that he was watching people come home from the pub whilst he was happily at home with me and the kids. He made quite a lifestyle change when he married me, and I know he misses the old life sometimes. But he sticks with us because he loves us.

It made me think about how much I love our children, and it has to be said that part of the reason I love them so much is that they are his. I have all the support I could ask for, because he really is the most wonderful father. He knows when to discipline and when to cuddle, and best of all he knows how to play. Edith and Dylan both love him to distraction because he loves them in the same way.

Martin is kind and generous and does all he can to help me. A lot of the time when I am worn out it is only because I refuse the help he offers me--I want to be able to do it on my own because I am stubborn. But he is always willing, and if I ever really need him to step in and get the job done, all I have to do is ask. And he is that kind and generous to everyone he knows. He is the most naturally NICE person I've ever known.

I think Martin and I make a perfect couple. Not that we are perfect, of course, but we complement one another. The areas that we are each lacking in are made up by the other. I had an Institute teacher in college who said that he believed men and women only attain their full potential when they are married because that is the only way we will ever be perfect--by joining ourselves to the person who has the necessary qualities that we lack.

I'm grateful for my husband, who makes sure that I am kind to people (most of the time) and teaches me to relax, have fun, and accept help from others. And I'm glad that these fantastic qualities came wrapped up in such a good looking package. It sure makes my babies easy on the eyes!

I had infamously bad taste in men before I met Martin. The nice guys always seemed so boring to me, and so I indulged my penchant for bad boys and ended up dating real, erm, winners. I thank God every day that I met Martin and was smart enough to marry him.

Life is so funny. I've done some things that I should regret in my life, but I can't regret any of them in all honesty, because if just one thing had gone differently I would have never met Martin. And all of the good things in my life are a result of him--my temple marriage, my beautiful children, and the simple daily pleasures I have in taking care of our little family.

So here's to you, Martin. Nearly eight years on and I am so happy that I married you. It was the best decision I've ever made.

And now it's time to go wake you up!

1 comment:

Michelle and Nick said...

Love this post and we love Martin as well (just not in the same way).