Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Edith's first night out...

Martin and I were kid free on Sunday night.  Dylan and Edith spent the night at their Nanna's house.  We didn't do anything exciting as Martin was on call at Rapi, but we rested and I went with him on deliveries.  We mostly wanted a chance to sleep in on Monday morning in the hopes of kicking this cold that we've all had for nearly two weeks.  Well, we slept until 8 am and then I made Martin get up.  We went to Barney's for a greasy full English fry-up and read our newspapers.  Then we went and collected the kids.  Heaven!

It was the first time Edith has spent the night somewhere without us, and she did just fine.  The kids went to bed later than normal and woke up earlier, but Edith didn't make a fuss. 

It kind of makes me laugh, because every time Christine has the kid(s) we warn her that they wake up early and tell her she should get an early night.  And every time she ignores us.  So while part of me felt sorry for her that she'd been awake since 4am when we collected our little brood, part of me wanted to shake her.  I guess maybe she thought that since she'd put them to bed late they would sleep later.  We tried that about a year ago, and it just doesn't work that way with our children.  If they go to bed late, they still get up really early.  They're just really grumpy and, in Dylan's case, very clumsy.

It was so nice to have an evening with just me and Martin.  I really miss those days of our marriage, when it was just the two of us hanging out all the time.  I love my babies and wouldn't change a thing even if I could, but we spent a lot of years without them and that's what I was used to.  I suppose in a few years when the kids are busy with school and extra-curricular activities and friends we will have it back that way.  I'll probably miss having them around, then. 

I guess the grass is always greener...

Anyway, now that we know we can leave the kids overnight without too much trauma, we will probably plan a night away.  Once Martin starts his new job, that is.  You know, when he has days off and is making more money.  I really fancy going somewhere with a hot tub and room service.

No comments: