Saturday, March 20, 2010

Irrational?

I am so angry with my husband right now.  He took the day off to go to his friend Steve's "stag do."  No longer just a stag night, because it's a 2 day bender in, get this, Liverpool!  They can't just go on a piss-up in the town where they live, oh no!  They have to go to the other side of the country to celebrate properly, incurring hotel costs, scoring tickets to see live stand-up, costing us over £125, and leaving me on my own with two very young children for what amounts to nearly 4 days (if you count the fact that I was on my own with them prior to that because he was at work).

I know that Martin hasn't done anything like this for years.  I know that he works hard.  I know that it is, technically, HIS money that he is blowing on this.  I know all of these things, and yet I am still angry.

Mostly because of the deserting me with two very small children thing, but also because he took a whole Saturday off to do it, and he won't take a day off for his own daughter's birthday.

Oh yeah, I'm a bit upset about that!

It's going to be a long weekend.  It was just me and the kids all day Thursday and Friday, now we will be on our own all day today and I will have to manage both of them on my own at church tomorrow.  Awesome.

AM I being irrational, or is this anger justified?  You decide, dear reader!  Don't forget to leave a comment and cast your vote.  Should I just suck it up and try to be nice to him when he gets home because I'm out of line?  Or is he being just a wee bit of a b*$%@!d ???

5 comments:

Greg, Ang & 4 kidlets said...

O.K.- I'll comment. To me, if you were O.K. (even semi O.K.) with him doing this before he left and now it is just dawning on you then you don't really have a right to be mad at him when he gets home. Try and be a good sport. (This has happened to me before, kinda, by the way:)

BUT, if you haven't agreed all along and he is just doing what he wants to without your input then I would be seriously ticked off. Big decisions- especially involving your money really need to always be made together.

For what it's worth:)

Emma said...

I agree with the very wise comments above.
Martin does go for the occassional round of golf, but he rarely does anything like this even though he works very hard for his family. While I agree wholeheartedly that the need to spend the whole weekend on the lash is a bit much; Steve who has Martin's best friend for may years flew to the States for your wedding and went to Vegas for his stag do if I recall correctly. Obviously Steve has no children so it is a little different, but in all honesty Martin has tried to compromise by only going for one night instead of two like everyone else.
I have no doubt that should you get the urge to spend a night away he wouldn't object to it and would dutifully care for the kids while you took a break.
You should know by now that we will always help wherever we can. I will have Dylan for two hours tomorrow in nursery and I am sure Lewis would have Edith during priesthood of you like. You can sit with us for sacrament if you like as we only have the boys and we will help you out. I am home tomorrow on my own if you wanted to hang out tomorrow afternoon (though I will have to stay home).

Unknown said...

i would be a bit ticked too 4 days and how ever much money that is is a bit much....what is goin to be your "getaway"

Anonymous said...

I agree with Emma. Martin does work very hard for you and the kids and Steve did come all the way to Nephi, Utah for your wedding. Be loving and welcome him home with open arms. Be pleasant and happy with a clean house and sleeping contently babies when he gets home. If you have a good attitude with him he will more likely have a good attitude with you when you want to have a night with the girls. Love mom

Anonymous said...

Goodness me! I think you are being very irrational in your thoughts. You say he is deserting you with two young children? Did he just walk out of the house after leaving you a note... or was this no shock to you?
You had the house to yourself, the kids to yourself, your life to yourself for 2 days.

I'd say be happy with that.