Sunday, March 14, 2010

Martin's job update..

We still haven't had a chance to really talk about his new job.  Just basics, like:

"how did it go."
"ok."
"good."

Apparently, last night was their busiest Saturday since opening.  Martin staggered (with exhaustion, not drunkenness) into our bedroom at about midnight, then went back downstairs to eat some dinner.  NO idea what time he actually got to sleep, which made me feel kind of bad about him getting up early when Dylan woke up.  But I had a rough day yesterday as well, and needed the extra sleep.

Things were fine until about 4pm, to be honest.  Busy, but good.  Hats off to all the single ladies out there that do it all for their kids.  I literally didn't have a second to myself all day.  I was cleaning and preparing meals while the kids were asleep, and Edith still can't put weight on her arm so I have been carrying her around everywhere and giving her lots of cuddles.  I think that on top of the possibly broken wrist, she is also having a growth spurt and teething.  Not a happy bunny!  But that was manageable--just.

We went to visit Martin at work (because he asked us to) and that's when the problems started.  Dylan didn't want to leave his daddy at work.  When we started walking home, he started crying.  And not just a little crying, either.  He was actually hysterical and sobbing so hard that he made himself sick.  He just kept screaming that he didn't want to go home and that he didn't want me to look at him.  He just wanted his dad.

We got home roughly 3/4 mile and 20 minutes later, because I ended up pushing Edith in the pushchair with one hand and carrying Dylan with the other.  NOT fun.  I'm sure it looked like I was abducting a child, and I'm surprised nobody called the police.  Luckily, even if they had it would have been Lewis as he was on duty at the time!

Prayers and dinner seemed to calm Dylan down, and both kids ate well.  Then I put Edith down for a nap because she was really fussy and tired.  I cleaned up, got washing off the line, played catch with Dylan, got everything ready for bath time, and got Edith.  Then the fun began again as Edith screamed all through her bath and then kept screaming while I got Dylan cleaned up and dried and dressed.  Awesome.

Dylan cried again when he got into bed.  Once again, because he wanted his daddy.  I got them both put down for bed, and rushed downstairs to make a lemon meringue pie (never again!).  Edith woke up again at 8:30pm.  So I got her settled again, then rushed downstairs to finish the pie, prepare my lesson for church, do my nails, work out, prepare the pork fillets for mother's day lunch (yes, cooking for my mother-in-law again), and clean up the kitchen.

Martin didn't get home until midnight.  Edith woke up several times again, but we just let her cry this time.  They were short crying jags.

----------------------------------

Wrote that earlier today.  Now it's nearly bed time, and it's been a nice day.  Church was hard because Dylan played up during sacrament meeting, but the day got better.  Video call with mom and dad and Jace, then the in-laws came over and we had a lovely dinner.  The menu was:

Apple and beetroot salad with Wensleydale cheese, toasted walnuts, and a homemade mustard vinaigrette.

Lancashire cheese stuffed pork loin with sweet potato hash, steamed broccoli, and a mustard cream sauce.

Home-made lemon meringue pie.

Delicious!  Hot DANG, I am turning into an amazing cook.

And Martin has been home all night to help get the kids in to bed and keep me company.  I love having him home.  Everyone is happier now.

No comments: