Thursday, March 18, 2010

Growing up...

Is it a sign of wisdom and good common sense that I bought myself some gloves to do the dishes and I now wear an apron every time I cook?

Or does it just mean that I'm turning into a frumpy old housewife?

Edith update:

Her cast came off--slipped right off her arm.  They told us that it probably would so it wasn't a surprise.  But it did the job--kept her from bumping it and hurting herself even more.

She still isn't putting her weight on her right arm, but she is starting to grab things again and using her right arm to steady herself when she's standing up.  But best of all, she's learned to shuffle around on one leg and one knee, just using her left arm for balance.  So she is back to her happy self, and keeps wearing herself out trying to shuffle that way.  She's been taking two naps a day!

Dylan has been amazing for the past week, thank goodness.  He's been helping me tidy up, playing in the garden, trying to make Edith laugh, etc.  It's as if he knows that I need him to be extra good while Edith isn't well.  I really am a lucky woman, to have such fantastic kids.

Martin is settling into his job well.  With each day he becomes more confident in his abilities, and I am so proud of him!  He did his first schedule today, and was really happy that nobody complained about their scheduled shifts.  He also got his first (partial) paycheck, and that makes the job even sweeter.  We've started having a bed time phone call for Dylan so Martin can tell him goodnight, and his days off feel so special now!

Basically, we're all doing well.  I'm not doing any more around the house than I was before, but I'm having to do it without Martin around to keep an eye on the kids.  I'm learning to adjust, and I feel good about the way things are going.  Even though I miss having my husband around, I'm kind of digging on being alone in the evenings.  It's almost like being single and living alone again, only not as much fun.

I've even gotten some sewing done on my "new" sewing machine.  Can you believe that this antique actually works?

No comments: