Saturday, March 13, 2010

Poor babies...

Not Dylan and Edith, but Martin and Edith.

Yesterday was Martin's first day at his new job, and I'm pretty sure it went well.  I say pretty sure because we haven't actually talked much about it.  He got home about 20 minutes after I turned my lights out to go to sleep, and we had a few moments of whispered conversation while I was feeding Edith at 1am and again at 4:30am.

Normally we would just let Edith cry for a few minutes until she went back to sleep if she woke up at 1am, but she's not doing very well.

She's been whining for a few days now, and I just thought she was teething or something.  Then, on Thursday night I noticed that she had an absolutely huge canker sore on her tongue.  I thought maybe that was the problem, so I dabbed a little miracle home remedy (alum powder) on it.  She fussed a bit, but the sore was pretty much gone by morning.  Still whining though.

I was making breakfast yesterday morning when Martin carried our whinging little devil in.  He said, "When is the last time you saw Edith crawl?"  He had noticed that she was avoiding putting any weight on her right hand.  She was holding it away from her body and not even using it to grab food.  So we called the doctor and they told us to take her straight to the Emergency Room.

So on Martin's first day of work, he helped me get the kids dressed and bundled in to the car, and I drove us all in to Scunthorpe.  Great timing, really.  I could have done with leaving Dylan at home.  But the new job is more important than my convenience at this point.

Edith was a trooper at the hospital.  Once I knew that it was her hand that was hurting, I could avoid pulling on it and bumping it.  She held really still for her x-ray and let the doctor look at her without kicking up a fuss.  They can't see a break, so are treating it as a sprain for now.  But if she still isn't putting any weight on her arm by Monday they want us to take her to the fracture clinic and they will put a cast on it anyway.  Apparently, broken bones can be really difficult to spot on young children since their bones are really uneven anyway.

She's awake again now, and I need to go get her before she wakes Martin.  I will tell everyone about his new job when I have a chance to talk to him.  So probably tomorrow!  All I really know is that his feet hurt and it was quite busy.  The Stables took as much money yesterday as the Place sometimes made in a week.  He's going to have to get used to working full time again, and it's going to be quite an adjustment.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope Edith is ok Jamie. I'm sure she will bounce back. She is such a sweetie. And good luck to Martin settling into his new job. Hopefully we'll catch up soon. C x

Anonymous said...

As in C for Charlotte, sorry ;)