Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Bad things happen in threes...

So I really hope we're done now. With my tumble on the stairs last week, my asthma, and the latest in our series of drama, we could really use a break!

Last night I went over to the Mundays so Martin could move furniture around and give the bedrooms a really thorough clean. I got a lift with Lewis as he was already in Barton for work, and Martin was going to join us later.

At about 9:30 last night we got a call from Martin. Lewis asked him if he was alright, then where he was. Then he said he'd be right there. He hung up and told me that Martin had slid on some mud. He said he was OK, but the car was on it's side. We drove out as quickly as possible, and it was so scary!!!

Martin had been coming down a hill with a bend at the bottom of it on the back road between Barton and Wootton. It's near a farm, and the farmers had left some mud on the road without putting up warning signs or cleaning it up. Martin hit it, lost control of the car, over-corrected, ran into the hedge at the side, and tipped the car over onto the driver's side. He never lost consciousness, had his seatbelt on, and was fine. He switched off the engine, opened the passenger side door, and climbed out of the car. Then he called for help.

Lewis and I got there about the same time as the ambulance. The crew checked Martin over and were amazed that he was so calm and collected. He is sore and may have whiplash, but he is back at work today. The police were called, of course, and they took his statement and tested him for alcohol. Apparently, they were pretty surprised that he had none in his system at all. It was a good night to be Mormon!

So we are all fine, but the car is most likely totalled. The good news is that we have full coverage on it, but the bad news is that we have a £250 deductible to pay and just BARELY forked out over £300 to have the repairs done on it. We are carless again! But we are coming to visit the family in just under four weeks, and will be there for 3 weeks, so we don't REALLY need a car for about 2 months. We just won't be going to church.

So that's the drama, and us hopefully done with bad luck for a while.

On a positive note, my asthma seems to be improving a lot. Emma and Lewis kept Dylan last night since it was so late by the time we got everything sorted out, and I slept for 7 1/2 hours, only waking once with a really bad coughing fit. I'm using my Ventolin inhaler a lot less now, and the steroids have really kicked in. I still can't do much by way of housework or anything like that and am pretty much trying to stay on the sofa as much as possible with my feet up, but I'm not in pain any more unless I try to breathe too deeply. And the baby is moving like crazy, so I know everything is OK there.

Oh yeah, and Dylan is now taking about 10 steps at a time on his own without any coaxing from us. He's doing brilliantly.

3 comments:

Emma said...

I agree let's have a drama free week next week, lol! Hope you are all ok today. Chill out and enjoy Zoe's cooking tonight.
Don't worry about us taking care of Dylan and don't hesitate to ask again in the future, that's what friends are for and he is such a sweetie to look after. When I was upstairs last night singing him to sleep (which I can do because he's not mine so I can spoil him as much I like!) I almost cried because I won't really get to see him grow up. We will miss him alot!
xx

Adriane said...

I'm glad that Martin is ok. I hope to get a chance to see you when I am in Utah at the end of December!

Anonymous said...

Oh no! I'm so glad that Martin didn't get hurt! And I'm super happy that your asthma is getting a little better. :) I'm excited to see you soon! I love you lots!

ShaNeil
(your favorite youngest sister)