Saturday, November 01, 2008

A & E...

That's Accident and Emergency, for all my American readers, and that's where I went last night.

I called the NHS Direct number to just make sure Volmax for my asthma was off limits during pregnancy. I've been having an asthma attack for about three weeks straight now, and last night I just reached my breaking point. I spoke to a nurse and told her all my symptoms, and she told me to go to the Emergency Room. Martin called his mum so she could sit with Dylan, and we drove over at around 10 pm. We were out of the hospital by 11:10 pm. Pretty impressive by anyone's standards!

Nothing radical in my treatment. I had a nebulizer treatment and they started me on a course of steroids. It's only for 4 days, so a pretty light dose, really. They also gave me antibiotics to clear up a chest infection that I have. I felt better almost immediately, and though I'm still not feeling good I am breathing better than I have in weeks. I only had to use my inhaler twice today, rather than about 6 times.

It scares me to take all this stuff while I am pregnant, even though it has been prescribed by a doctor. But I was reading up on the potential risks to an unborn child if you don't keep your asthma under control, and they're pretty severe. One of them was low birthweight, which wouldn't be so bad. But there can actually be brain damage if the asthma attacks are severe, because the baby will suffer from oxygen deprivation. And I guess it's just a matter of weighing the risks and making an informed decision. Luckily at this point in the pregnancy all of Newbie's body systems are formed and he or she is just getting bigger, stronger, and more refined.

So that's the update. A little bit of drama, but I'm on the mend now. If the insomnia will just ease up I will be so happy!

4 comments:

Amberlynn said...

So glad you're feeling better! I wish this growing a baby stuff weren't so difficult. The choices are the hardest part sometimes.

Anonymous said...

Wow, glad you are feeling better. I know, it's hard to put anything in your body that you feel may be ptentially an issue with the little one. If the doctor says it's ok, then that's what you have to go on. Mommy's health needs to be good for baby's health to be good. I know you know that. Miss you. Hope you get feeling perfectly grand soon (if that's possible whilst pregnant!)

Unknown said...

soninex or nytal is approved and safe for pregger ones. I took it all the time becasue i had the same problem when i was preggo and it save my life i hated that part of pregancy. over there though the names may be differant so you may may to ask the pharmisist what is safe for you--hope you feel better

Greg, Ang & 4 kidlets said...

So glad you are feeling better- thank goodness:) I guess I never thought about having asthma while pregnant- I will be a little more grateful in my next pregnancy:)