Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!

To all my American readers, may you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Obviously, it's not observed here in the UK. After all, why would they want to celebrate the successful harvest of the people who left the mother land and broke away completely? I think they're still a bit bitter that we left and become more successful (sorry Emma).

I celebrate it, though, and force Martin's family to celebrate it with me. I know I am still quite young to be doing my own Thanksgiving feast, but I am really an old hand at this by now. I hosted my first Thanksgiving when I was just 22. It was the first year we lived in England, while we were applying for Martin's green card, and it was a DISASTER!

We were working at Winteringham Fields at the time, and didn't make it to the supermarket during opening hours to get a turkey since we were at work ALL the time. So our turkey was still frozen solid and we had to have ham hock instead. Delicious, but not quite the same. I made banana cream pie, though, and that turned out perfectly!

Since then, I have steadily becomre more confident in my hostessing. I have learned to make pumpkin pie from scratch (made it last night, and it looks perfect) and this year am even doing a floral centerpiece (chrysanthemums in a pumpkin surrounded by ivy from my back garden). It's only a meal for 6 + Dylan, but I am doing home made stuffing and roast sweet potatoes instead of candied yams. I have altered the menu slightly to cater to the English palate, but it should be a good meal.

I always miss my family at Thanksgiving, but it makes me happy to host a dinner over here. Martin's family are the only ones I've got at the minute, and they'll do in a pinch. I love them, and they are happy to humor me in my silly American traditions.

I'll let you all know how the dinner goes. Last year I knew that I should be thankful for my many blessings, but I was still depressed and not liking being a mother. I tried so hard to put on a cheerful face for everyone, but life wasn't that happy for me. This year, I feel as though my cup is running over with blessings. Even though we are poor and have had some bad luck recently, I have never been this happy in my whole life!

And the best part is, in 2 1/2 weeks we will be visiting MY family in Utah!!!

4 comments:

Adriane said...

I don't think you are too young to host your own Thanksgiving feast. I've been doing it for 10 years!

Adriane said...

Oh, and I can't wait to (hopefully) see you at the end of December when I'm in Utah. Sorry about the depression. I had that same problem 2 years ago after Ashlee was born right before Thanksgiving. I just wasn't into the holidays at all, and that is so not like me. I'm still on meds now. Hopefully some day I can kick it and be fine. Have a GREAT Thanksgiving celebration.

Emma said...

Why don't you ask Gordon Brown to make Thanksgiving a National Holiday after all us British have to celebrate every other festival - except for Christmas and St George's day because those are ours and it might upset all the foreigners we have over here, but I'm not bitter lol...now where did I put my 'winter festival lights he he
Hope you have a great thanksgiving and everything runs smoothly.
Emma
xx

House of Wilcox Rock!!! said...

Yay for late happy Thanksgiving wishes! I can just picture your wonderful meal! I'm glad everything went well! I guess I'm a true Texan now, we had BBQ! To tell you the truth I'm not a huge fan of TG food anymore; I guess I miss my Mom's salmon instead of turkey and creamed pearl onions in stead of GB casserole, yuck! Maybe I just don't like southern TG, I dunno. I liked our BBQ! Glynn did make a pumpkinpie from scratch and that was good, and we had creme brulee. Look at me I'm a non-conformist!