Saturday, May 30, 2009

Milestones...

When Dylan was a tiny baby I spent most of my time wishing his babyhood away. It was all about wishing he was sitting up, wishing he would crawl, wishing he could walk, etc. This time around, I am excited for those milestones to come around. But I am trying my hardest to enjoy the moment.

I love holding Edith close to me and just cuddling with her. I love that she'll still let me do it, and I will enjoy every minute that I can. I love stroking her face and sticking our tongues out at each other. I love watching her flail her arms and legs around because she hasn't figured out how to control them yet. I am looking forward to her reaching for toys and sitting up and doing all of that "big baby" stuff, but it'll happen in it's own time.

Dylan gets more and more grown up every day. Since he had his hair cut on Tuesday he looks even more grown up than ever, but it's his language development that really astounds me. He has started putting words together to form very simple sentences and he is learning about ownership. He can ask for things that he wants now and frequently says things like "juice please," or "daddy's shoes." When asked to point to daddy's chin or mama's cheeks, he knows where to point. He's also learned his own name, and yesterday we were learning about our family. He grasps things so quickly now, and he understands most of what we say.

Dylan is also having a major growth spurt, as Emma predicted. He is like a bottomless pit this week and he simply can NOT get enough food. It's nice, because he is trying all sorts of food that he wouldn't eat before and is loving it. He's decided that he likes pasta (and the way he says it is adorable) and he's digging on all kinds of potatoes at the minute.

As we were sitting at the dinner table last night I felt so content. Our little family is so lovely. My husband is wonderful, devoted, hard working, and handsome. My son is beautiful and bright and sunny. My daughter is soft and gorgeous and cuddly. Dylan is so much fun to be with, and we have this whole developmental process to go through again with Edith.

Sometimes the life of a stay at home mom gets me down. It's boring and hard work, and it goes largely unappreciated. But then I have these moments when there's nowhere else I'd like to be and absolutely nothing else in the world I'd rather be doing. I'm glad I'm not missing a moment of my babies growing up!

No comments: