Wednesday, August 26, 2009

progress?

I remember reading this post



Sunday, April 13, 2008
Things are less gross...

When you are a parent I mean. I never thought I'd be doing a little happy dance over poop, but I did this morning. Izaiah dropped a duece in his little potty this morning, I was so happy I could barely contain my joy. Things are weird after you procreate.


on my friend Becca's blog absolutely ages ago and thinking how funny it was. Now I understand completely!

Dylan has done his business on the potty once and on the toilet once. He has still left us a little present on the carpet both times, but once he realizes that he's, erm, moving his bowels, he stops and waits to finish until we get him in the appropriate place. I think he's still becoming accustomed to the sensation and learning what it means. I am beyond excited, and am starting to see the light at the end of the diaper tunnel. At least for this one! Obviously, I still have at least another year with Edith. But when it comes time to potty train her I will know what I'm doing.

In other milestones, Edith has started sitting on her own really well. Still not well enough that I can leave her alone and sitting. She wobbles and her little head looks like a nodding dog. But she is quite young still and those muscles aren't the strongest in the world. I'm really excited for her to sit up because it makes baby care so much easier when they can sit. Also, it means her hair will grow in over that darned bald spot!

We think Dylan might have had another seizure in the night. But not an unexplained one like the ones at Christmas. We think he might have had a febrile seizure. He had a really high temperature when he woke up this morning, and was really weak and whining and throwing up a lot. He was also really lethargic, which he NEVER is--even when he's tired or sick. It was a lot like the post-ichtyl (sp)phase of his seizures at Christmas. I'm taking him to see the doctor after lunch, and we'll see what he says. We booked him in because with the vomiting and temperature we were a bit worried that it might be complications from swine flu. Now he seems to be feeling better, but I'm taking him in anyway. Better to be safe than sorry--especially when it's free! But don't worry. Like I said, he seems to be doing much better now.

Something interesting about food (again!). Martin was on the phone with our bank last night to see if we could switch our mortgage to interest only for a few months (they said no, incidentally) and he was speaking to a financial advisor about our budget. They went over all of our expenses and said that based on the information we gave them we were able to make full payments so they wouldn't switch us over. But when he told them how much we spent in a month on groceries, they were astounded.

Apparently, we spend about half what the government says is "average" for a family of four. Of course, Dylan is just a kid and Edith is breastfed. But Dylan normally has a hearty appetite and Edith is starting on solids now. And that cost includes our diapers and household cleaning supplies (all I really buy is bleach, baking soda, washing soda, and vinegar). The woman at the bank was so astonished and impressed that she said she wanted to get shopping tips from me.

Are you proud, mom?

Oh, sounds like I have a diaper to change. This day is just awesome! Roll on bedtime. Only 9 hours to go!

1 comment:

Becca Rocks said...

YAY!!! You've reached the first step of potty training! Its a long hard road but its exciting. Hearing Izaiah get up in the night and pee is the most magical sound I think I've heard in life. GOOD LUCK!!!