Wednesday, August 12, 2009

A return to my roots...

There is great pleasure to be found in the rituals of food preparation. Today I made a lovely roast beef dinner. I used potatoes grown in our garden and some fresh garden vegetables. I made gravy from the beef drippings and home made vegetable stock. Everything that went onto our plates had been made by me, and it was very satisfying.

In a strange way, I've enjoyed the last few days in the kitchen. Nothing has been wasted--not even the vegetable peels and beef fat (I roasted my potatoes in it and used it to make gravy). I feel like I'm doing things "properly" for the first time. At least in the kitchen. This must be how my great grandmothers used to cook, only without butchering my own animals and stuff. I can hardly wait to move back to Utah where we can have a bigger garden and grow more of our own veggies and stuff.

All of our friends and family have been really wonderful lately. We've received help of all kinds, which I am really grateful for. You know who you are, and I love you for it!

The biggest surprise came when my friend Charlotte (Beth's mum) showed up on my doorstep with a big bag of home grown vegetables. They have an allotment on a farm near their house and grow all their own organic vegetables. She gave us a zucchini, a couple of yellow squash, some Swiss chard, a gorgeous cabbage, and a load of green beans. It's marvellous because vegetables seem to be the only thing we are struggling to find cheap right now.

So I'm feeling all old fashioned and good about myself for it. And my family are thriving!

1 comment:

Adriane said...

What wonderful friends and family! you are so lucky and blessed.