Monday, August 03, 2009

Sometimes he just doesn't understand...

It was a pretty good weekend, all things considered. All things being the fact that weekends are basically meaningless now. Martin works all day on Saturday and Sunday is a lot of hard work!

I have decided that we need to try to make weekends a bit special, so now we are having a weekly date night and I am trying to make sure we do something fun on Saturday evenings. So we had snacks and games on Friday and Jen and Howard came over on Saturday.

Sunday was OK. Church is not much fun any more now that we have kids. But it went well enough and I got an assignment to speak next week, so that's kind of fun. We left early because Martin was playing football for the people of Barton vs. Barton police game. We left church early and rushed to get there, only to discover that the kickoff time had been moved back and we were actually about an hour early.

This is the bit where we get to the not understanding.

Martin thinks he can just carry on like he did before we had kids. He signed up to play in this game and then told me he did it. When we were childless, it wouldn't have been a big deal. I would have gone, worn a skirt or shorts to get some sun on my legs, and read a good book. But now, with two kids to look after, it's not that easy. Martin goes and plays a game--around two hours if it's football and more if it's baseball--and he has a great time. I spend the whole time looking after the kids. I chase Dylan around and try to keep him from running onto the pitch or in to the car park. I have to keep giving him drinks and snacks and comforting him when he hurts himself. I have to keep him entertained and happy. And I have to do this whilst trying to feed Edith, change Edith, burp Edith, etc. And I have to do all of this while Martin is out having a good time.

One could argue that I don't have to go to his sporting events. True, but if I stay at home it just adds to the many hours that I already spend here alone with the kids. Plus, I think it's important for the kids to get out in the fresh air and see new things.

I wish I had a hobby that made things really difficult for Martin!

1 comment:

Greg, Ang & 4 kidlets said...

I hear ya- we went to co-ed church softball the other night & I was the babysitter for 8 kids age 6 & under. 2 are babies & 3 are toddlers. This is partly my fault because I hate softball & refuse to play so I end up the designated babysitter:) I had both babies & 2 toddlers all crying at once! Do you any feel better about your two yet? Granted- I didn't have to nurse a newborn:)