Sunday, March 15, 2009

Calling all mothers...

Needing some parenting advice--especially from mothers with sons. I know that there is no "right" age to start potty training. I also know that boys are usually much slower at it than girls. But Dylan has started staying dry for most of the day and squatting and peeing as soon as his diaper is taken off. He's been doing it for about two weeks now, and I'm wondering if this means he is ready to start trying to use the potty. I know that the peeing when the diaper is removed is NOT just a reaction to cold air as he has never done that--not even as a newborn. I also know that urine really removes a lot of ground-in dirt from linoleum.

On Saturday I missed something strange about not having kids--leftovers for breakfast. I used to enjoy left over curry or pizza or meatballs for breakfast, but now I cook oatmeal for the family most mornings because I know that Dylan needs a good breakfast. I miss Chicken Dhansak for my morning meal!

Oh, and by the way, I still haven't had Newbie. Just thought I'd let you all know.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

i would get a training potty in put it in the living room and if hes interested dont stop him. Boys are VERY stubburn. you could try after a few days of him exploring the potty putting him on the potty every 15 to 20 minutes and if he interested hell go with in the first 5 or 10 secord of sitting on it BUT BUT BUT you have to realize after you have newbie he may rebell becasue youre not spending enough time (understandly so) with him so hell do wett his pants to get your attention. You are really brave even starting to think about the idea in current situation.. I personally would just put the potty in sight and see go with the flow but do not anything to serious until after newbie is a month or two...Becasue things WILL change once you have two kidlets... DOnt force him-- boys do things on their own let my 1st boy just wouldnt potty train for nothing and them woke up one day and took off his diaper and starting using the toilet, my 2nd was the perfect potty trainer and now my 4 YEAR OLD still ISNT train yetso it vary and it totaling up to them

sorry i yapped your head off- enjoy!!

Adriane said...

Sounds like he's ready, but right before a major life change (like a new little baby being born) is not the right time to do it. That will just make it harder on you and him because of the upheaval that his life will already be in. I tried to PT my son when he was just a couple months past 2 years old and he would have nothing to do with it. I was morning sick so a gave in and stopped. Tried again a couple months before he turned 3 and he was trained in a week. When they're ready, they're ready!
If you have a potty ready for Dylan to go to when he gets his diaper off ( i recommend in the bathroom so he knows that is where you go) then he jsut may do it himself (sort of). I have a potty in the Bathroom for Ashlee cuz she knows all about it and sometimes wants to sit on it, but she doesnt' do much at all. I'm not in a position in life at the moment to focus attention on PT so any serious training will wait till June.

Amberlynn said...

Let him lead. He absoltulely is ready, but is likely to regress when sibling arrives. We have a little seat that fits on the potty (no extra cleaning involved). You can offer him the option to sit at diaper changes as a start.