Saturday, March 07, 2009


Martin and I were discussing a book about Dick Cheney that he read a few weeks ago, and we got on the topic of the prison at Guantanemo (sp?) Bay. We were discussing the Geneva Convention rules on what does or does not count as "torture" (yes, we do discuss things like this sometimes--it's not always about baby poo) and we had a serious disagreement.

In order for interrogation techniques to be classed as torture, you have to make people think that their life is in jeopardy. If they don't believe they are going to die, it's not torture. By this definition, sleep deprivation is an acceptable method of interrogation. I disagree wholeheartedly.

If you are seriously sleep deprived, you don't necessarily believe you are going to die. But you kind of wish you would!

Sorry about the negativity. It follows closely on the heels of a very long night that didn't involve much sleep. And my dreams were very strange, melding into daydreaming musings on a film we just saw. So it pretty much feels like I got no sleep last night. It's a good thing I'm not a POW, because it would only take about 24 hours of sleep deprivation (not even "proper" torture) and I would spill my guts about everyone and everything!

Things are going well though, all things considered. I now have 11 days until my due date, and the pain in my pelvis hasn't been as bad the last few days. The baby had a quiet morning yesterday and I was a little bit concerned, but then had a very active night which included hiccups right when I was trying to get to sleep. It's been moving a lot again this morning. I am seeing the midwives on Monday and will be seen by the OB/GYN at the hospital in 2 weeks' time if I haven't had the baby by then. Still healthy--just exhausted.

I'm starting to get a little bit nervous about trying for a VBAC as this baby gets bigger and bigger. I keep thinking about how big Dylan was when he was born--I was seriously amazed that he actually fit inside me. How am I going to push a baby that big out? Scary! But I'm still going to try, of course.

Speaking of Dylan, he is GREAT! He had his first ever home made curry last night, and loved it. I made kheema aloo--a gorgeous dish with minced pork and potatoes cooked with cinnamon, cloves, garam masala, onions, cardamom pods, and tomatoes. It's not very spicy, but is very well seasoned and aromatic. Let me know if you want the recipe, because it's easy and delicious. Anyway, Dylan is back to eating pretty much anything you put in front of him again. That's such a relief, as I really don't want a picky eater. Christine came over and had dinner with us and then stayed with Dylan while we went to a movie. He loves his Nanna, and even calls her nanna now when he sees her. He also calls Laurence grandad and adores him as well. But don't be jealous, mom and dad. He also knows you from the pictures we look at all the time. He just can't say grandma or grandpa. We're working on it.

He is a little chatterbox--seriously! He copies almost everything we say, and it's seriously adorable. As I was watching him in the bath the other night, it also occured to me how coordinated he is now. When he reaches out for something, he always gets what he wants. His hand/eye coordination is remarkable for a child his age, and I'm not just saying that because he's mine. He's getting better every day at eating with his spoon and fork instead of his fingers. And we have started offering him choices of drinks and fruit since he can tell us if he wants water, juice, or milk and if he wants grapes or bananas. Apparently, giving your toddler choices is a good thing? Anyway, he likes it.

Martin is doing well also. Baseball season will be starting soon--next month, in fact. I think he's really looking forward to that. He is still only working part time, but has been getting a lot done on the house and has really stepped up the Kleeneze stuff. We are managing quite well at the minute, and should be good until the shutdown work starts. He's also applying for a few other positions here in town--part time stuff that he can fit around the Place. I let him sleep in this morning since I was wide awake anyway, and I think he really appreciated that.

Anyway, it's going to be a long day today. I think we'll see if Emma and the boys want to join us at the park this afternoon if the weather stays nice. I can hardly wait until nap time. Only 2 1/2 hours to go. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Adriane said...

Hey Jamie! I would love to have that recipe. DOn't feel rushed about it or anything since you are going to deliver any day I'm sure!